• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

polished tunnel

I use mothers aluminum polish, the one in the tube and is a paste, clean after each ride, keeps it looking nice can buy at walmart or local autozone.

I use Mothers Billet Polish. I bought it at AutoZone. I also use a drill mounted buffing wheel.

Depends what level shine you want. If you want chrome look you will need to start out wet sanding with about 2,000 grit and work up to 2,500 then I used White Diamond to bring the shine. It is a picture but a lot of work! If I get another un painted tunnel I will have the guy that does my semi wheel's do it, he charges $50 plus $20 to get to my shop and he says it will be as good or better than mine is now, all I need to do is get the seat and plastic's off. Any one near central Wisconsin may want to consider him. I have the number if you want it. The last time I talked to him he said he had done over 150 sled's.

That dude is crazy! $50 for all that elbow grease! WOW.

I'm going to give the Mother's powerball a shot this year. I did it all by hand with Mothers Mag and aluminum polish. It worked out well. But the powerball should lessen the need for so much hand work. But I know the running boards will destroy that powerball, so thay are last.

+1 on the wet sanding. I did it once without and the look is not the same. The sanding really gives it the mirror look.

Good luck!

biffdotorg said:
That dude is crazy! $50 for all that elbow grease! WOW.

I'm going to give the Mother's powerball a shot this year. I did it all by hand with Mothers Mag and aluminum polish. It worked out well. But the powerball should lessen the need for so much hand work. But I know the running boards will destroy that powerball, so thay are last.

+1 on the wet sanding. I did it once without and the look is not the same. The sanding really gives it the mirror look.

Good luck!
If you would see what he uses you would understand how he can do it. You should see what a Aluminum semi wheel looks like for $20. He did six rim's and two 150gal fuel tank's on my semi for $225. I have him come to my shop every couple year's.

bottlerocket said:
Dont do it unless you have tons of time on your hands. They look pretty ratty after a 400 mile weekend.
It really isn't that bad to maintain after the initial cut and shine. Not much different than putting a wax on. I do mine a couple times a season. I kind of like it better than paint because once paint is scuffed it's ugly. I hit the boot mark's with a buff ball at the end of the season and it looks like new again. Oxidized aluminum is ugly also!

Back