• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Controversy, stud or dont stud

Sparky18

Extreme
I see many people asking about studding their ripsaws, is it really necessary or are the good enough as is. I would just be concerned with the length of the studs and them bending and what not!!!!! I know everyone will have a different opinion on this one, but I mainly hear that the track is good as is!!! ;)!

I'm going to stud mine simply for safety issue. I live on a lake and if I want to hit the trail I have to cross it. Also, in the trails the corners ice up alot. No track in the world will get traction in these areas. Rubber and hard ice just don't work. The back of the sled will be all over the place. The first time you do a 360 going down the trail and can't do anything about, you'll ALLWAYS stud a track, LOL.

I don't run studs at all. I tried TWICE on two different sleds and hated them both times. Just so much easier and more fun to drive without.

Studs do NOT increase safety. Using common sense and driving per the conditions increases safety. If you rely on studs to keep you on the trail, then eventually you will find yourself on a rock where the studs don't stick and going too fast to stay on the trail.

Never have run studs and don't plan on it. The ripsaw does pretty good but when it gets to be pure smooth ice it can loose a little grip. But then I just ride for the conditions.

LazyBastard said:
I don't run studs at all. I tried TWICE on two different sleds and hated them both times. Just so much easier and more fun to drive without.

Studs do NOT increase safety. Using common sense and driving per the conditions increases safety. If you rely on studs to keep you on the trail, then eventually you will find yourself on a rock where the studs don't stick and going too fast to stay on the trail.

Don't even start!! :o|

Oh No here we go! I probably shouldn't but I just have to! LB once again you you are a prophet. And we don't even need to use simple algebra. I have never studded my sleds and I get along just fine. But then in 30 years of snowmobiling I have never run across some of the conditions some people have discribed! For me the only thing studs do is tear stuff up. Like my concrete driveway and my wood deck enclosed trailer. They are expensive and create additional expense in repairs to the surroundings not to mention increase the weight and rotating mass of the track. Until I have the death defying experience I will pass on studs.

wolfie said:
LazyBastard said:

Don't even start!! :o|

here we go again...... lol

The studding need is based mainly on your location, some trails at the edge of the snowbelt have trails that are more ice than snow, like I rode in Northern Illinois. There you have little choice, plus yes studded many guys ride beyond the speed they should on some trails because of the studs.

Both sides are right and should be left alone to do as they wish. The GSX I bought was from Northern Vermont, 7,000 miles, no studs and the track looks brand new.

Jim

Back