• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Controversy, stud or dont stud

Candyredrx1 said:
Rotax! said:
Sled Dog, lets see you go down a hill or better yet stop in the middle of a hill without studs. It's safety first, reguardless of the speed.
Rotax,

Why would you stop in the middle of a hill?? would you stop in the middle of a interstate with people flyin 70 MPH??? Safety first, pull off the side of the road or trail off the groomed sectioned and everyone is safe.
First off, there are not as many cars on a groomed trail, then there is the Interstate. That's not a good anology. Second, what if a tree is down in the middle of a trail or another sledder is all crossed up in the middle of the trail, on a hill and sleds on both sides of them. You will wish you had studs as you stare at the damage that exists on the front end of your sleds because you slid into a tree or another sled from trying to avoid him. I've seen it happen and have spun my own sled out in a trail for not any studs.

Rotax! said:
Candyredrx1 said:
Rotax! said:
Sled Dog, lets see you go down a hill or better yet stop in the middle of a hill without studs. It's safety first, reguardless of the speed.
Rotax,

Why would you stop in the middle of a hill?? would you stop in the middle of a interstate with people flyin 70 MPH??? Safety first, pull off the side of the road or trail off the groomed sectioned and everyone is safe.
First off, there are not as many cars on a groomed trail, then there is the Interstate. That's not a good anology. Second, what if a tree is down in the middle of a trail or another sledder is all crossed up in the middle of the trail, on a hill and sleds on both sides of them. You will wish you had studs as you stare at the damage that exists on the front end of your sleds because you slid into a tree or another sled from trying to avoid him. I've seen it happen and have spun my own sled out in a trail for not any studs.

Again if you are riding in a safe manner and the speed to fit the trail you are on I would see this coming for a long time and just stop and help the guys or gals out. Sounds like you need to slow down and smell the pine. When I take a corner I am slowed down on the far right and I could stop way before I hit anything.

Have any of you guys gone into a corner with loose snow and slide anyway because the studs didn't grab. It's a two way street. Every sled I ever F#$%#@ up was with studs in the track. I personally over drove every sled I had with studs because of a false sense of security. If you like them that's fine, But don't tell me I have to be like the crowd or I'm going to wreck or kill myself. Maybe woody's should do a survey of all fatalities and see how many were running studs. I'll betcha the results would surprise you. I agree that studs work probably better than advertised, but there is a downside to running them. :ORC

Sled Dog said:
Well if you are at a safe speed going into a corner safely there is nothing to worry about as you are probably not going fast enough to hurt yourself or even roll the sled. People going to fast may the problem more so than the safety issue. People who have them probably feel they can travel faster becasue of them.

Oh baloney!!!!! :ORC Ice happens on uphills, downhills and corners, and you can be the safest driver in the world and you're still gonna be in trouble in situations like that without studs. You'd be endangering others by not having them as well. Studs give you better control, better stopping. We've had these stud threads for years, and some of you guys want to rationalize not using them, fine. But don't try and imply that people who run them just ride too fast. They're in more control than you. And yes, sorry, you can travel faster with them.

Sled Dog said:
Rotax! said:
Candyredrx1 said:
Rotax! said:
Rotax,

Again if you are riding in a safe manner and the speed to fit the trail you are on I would see this coming for a long time and just stop and help the guys or gals out. Sounds like you need to slow down and smell the pine. When I take a corner I am slowed down on the far right and I could stop way before I hit anything.

Actually, it sounds like you're one of those guys who thinks he sets the speed limit on the trails. Next question, what do you do when a group catches up to you on the trails? Do you pull over and let them by?

supeRmanX-1 said:
Have any of you guys gone into a corner with loose snow and slide anyway because the studs didn't grab. It's a two way street. Every sled I ever F#$%#@ up was with studs in the track. I personally over drove every sled I had with studs because of a false sense of security. If you like them that's fine, But don't tell me I have to be like the crowd or I'm going to wreck or kill myself. Maybe woody's should do a survey of all fatalities and see how many were running studs. I'll betcha the results would surprise you. I agree that studs work probably better than advertised, but there is a downside to running them. :ORC

Are you serious?! :ORC The false sense of security was in your head, blaming the studs seems rather......well.......you get the idea, at least you should.

MightyWarrior said:
PS Don't give me that crap about drive to the conditions because you never know when a situation like an icy corner is going to come up :ORC :ORC :ORC

I AGREE 150%. I drive under control, but there are some things that you have no control over.

jsa3107 said:
If the track is studded does it caue the track to wear out quicker?

Wear more? I'd say no. It can stretch a little more because you have cut some of the cords, and you could have a stud pull through.

Studs do NOT increase safety.

I couldnt agree with you less. But you're correct about the common sense. Now common sense + studs = a winning and safe combination ;)!

wolfie said:
Sled Dog said:
Rotax! said:
Candyredrx1 said:
Rotax! said:
Rotax,

Actually, it sounds like you're one of those guys who thinks he sets the speed limit on the trails. Next question, what do you do when a group catches up to you on the trails? Do you pull over and let them by?

No I am a guy who rides and has a blast doing it at the speed I know is safe for me and anyone else cause at that speed I am in total control. You sound like one of the guys who think the trails are your own speedway. Yes I do let people pass me all the time.

Back