• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anybody have a pic of 144 studs with double backes

ericsno

Extreme
Anybody have a pic of 144 studs with double backers i have 96 doubles in my nytro and want to go to 144 when i get my apex rtx

I went from 96 to 144 and the extra 48 are single backers.

Attachments

• IMG_9408.JPG
    IMG_9408.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 459
Twomore strokes, nice looking studs!

First of all, just thoguht id mention, that in your pic, you can see where it says "camoplast", and two lugs up from that is where I blew my stud, then my buddy blew the exact same spot on the exact same side on his camoplast, Just thought id mention that as you can see it.

Also, how are they holding up, If I do upgrade to a new sled, I was looking at gettign the powdercoated blue doubles but didnt know how stong they would be as there is less surface area for the backers with the double, than with two sperate studs, which means there would be a higher chance of a pull through.

Do you ride your track hard and roost over snowbanks and all that?

BTW, take a propane burner and burn that fuzz off the sides of your track if you want, all it takes is a close brazing.

I’m using angled double backers only in my 4-2 configuration with 144 studs. I carefully measured every stud hole for them to carve their own line. The good thing about the double backers is they don’t permit the stud to flex sideways to follow another studs groove. It also seems they are much less prone for a pull through, but maybe more prone for bending or breaking the studs. I much rather replace bent or broken studs compared to fixing a pull through. Approx 3000 kms on these studs and only have a few bent and a few with missing carbides. I think the key to stud durability is to make sure you have enough studs. This setup hooks up great on ice! Better then anything else I’ve ever tried with trail studs.

Dan

Attachments

• DSCF000312.JPG
    DSCF000312.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 357
I like that pattern Dan. The double backers are a lot more secure than the singles. Also, I've seen better scratch patterns than the one that mine leaves. Measuring and altering the placement back and forth slightly from the template can produce a better scratch pattern. Mine hooks up very well though. I tried 96 all doubles for the first 100 miles and it was not enough for me.

Y485, thanks! The studs are holding up well. I broke one off flush and bent a few in the first 1000 miles last season. I think I replaced a total of 6 or 8 at the beginning of this season from last year. I also added Woody's tall nuts this season, although I agree with Dan's statement 100% concerning the preferrence of breaking studs over ruining the track. If you try those tall nuts, you really have to watch them for the first 100-200 miles. They definitely need retorquing but will stay tight after you do that once. It was interesting that the nuts on the singles backed off more than the ones on the doubles. The missing stud that shows in my photo actually fell out in the first 5 miles after adding the tall nuts. I'm pretty sure I just missed that one when I was torquing them down. Doh!

Mike

NEXT QUESTION

IM having a hard time deceiding on studs or a 1.5 track on my gt , are you guys running studs hitting the tunnel at high speeds or on the brakes hard ??? i NEED more traction for coming out of corners , but hate to spend $300 on steel thats going to rip up my tunnel ...any input ???

Re: NEXT QUESTION

B2SO said:
IM having a hard time deceiding on studs or a 1.5 track on my gt , are you guys running studs hitting the tunnel at high speeds or on the brakes hard ??? i NEED more traction for coming out of corners , but hate to spend $300 on steel thats going to rip up my tunnel ...any input ???
Stick with 1,325's and you'll be all set. Studs will help you coming out of a corner better than a 1.5 inch track on our Michigan trails.

Re: NEXT QUESTION

MightyRTX said:
B2SO said:
Stick with 1,325's and you'll be all set. Studs will help you coming out of a corner better than a 1.5 inch track on our Michigan trails.

What he said! ;)! No stud contact anywhere in my tunnel with 1.325's.

My 2000 SXR 700 is studded just like danos' (144 up the middle in a 4-2 pattern) and I have to say I am very pleased with it. I used the original Woodys doubles and most of them bent pretty bad, but my dealer set me up with the newer, thicker ones. No bent backers since then. I have replaced maybee 20 studs total in the 12,000 miles Iv'e ridden this sled (5/16" Stainless Stud Boys) Never had one pull-out.

I also added Woody's tall nuts this season, although I agree with Dan's statement 100% concerning the preferrence of breaking studs over ruining the track. If you try those tall nuts, you really have to watch them for the first 100-200 miles. They definitely need retorquing but will stay tight after you do that once. It was interesting that the nuts on the singles backed off more than the ones on the doubles.

Just thought id mention this too. With my tall nuts, mine backed off as well and I beleive this is why I had a stud pullthrough. Retorqued them then bent my round backers, then went to square ones. Perfect since. Was also thinking that if I had to do it again, id use red loctite along with the lock washers, so that they stand a higher chance of not coming loose again.

Back