• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What will you replace the Chaincase lube with??

welterracer

TY 4 Stroke God
What is everyone going to put in for chain case lube when the change it..

Ive heard a few people have said to switch to 10W30 synthetic motor oil!

Even synthetic ATF will work excellent for the chaincase did they fix the breather for the chaincase this year?

I went with Mobile 1 75 - 90 synthetic gear lube, can buy a full quart for 8.99 and only takes 8 ounces. On bottle report great cold and heat performance.

THE idea came from craz 1 cars on a post in the last month and I agree.
Yamadoo

I have always used Redline synthetic 75w90 with 1 oz of there Shock Proof additive. I have used this formula in my Polaris's for the past 15 years. I know for a fact some sled race teams use the same stuff. I plan on using this in my new Apex.

yamadoo said:
I went with Mobile 1 75 - 90 synthetic gear lube, can buy a full quart for 8.99 and only takes 8 ounces. On bottle report great cold and heat performance.

Yamadoo

I knew this sounded familiar...ditto. For what it's worth, I am not brand loyal to Mobil 1 75W90. Just happens to be easy for me to find in my area at any auto parts store. Valvoline makes a full synthetic 80W90 gear oil that I have used in the past. I'm sure other brands do as well.

I am very sure that neither 10W-30 nor ATF has the correct 75W or 80W viscosity, nor are they rated GL-3 as Yamaha specs call for. Viscosity ratings for most ATFs show that it is often thinner than even 10W30. I've never understood the reasoning behind someone using ATF in a chaincase. Best argument I ever heard for ATF is "I've been using it for X years and never had a problem." I could make the same argument for using the proper lube.

Even "chaincase lube" sold in little bottles by various brands is often not labeled with any particular viscosity or GL rating, so I am leery of those as well unless they're labled with the specific specs/ratings that match Yamaha's requirement.

The oil i drained out of my sled didnt look any heavier than motor oil.. and was just as clean.. wasnt half as thick as 80 or 90 W

I am personally not able to subjectively evaluate the thickness of an oil by looking at it. All I know for sure is that Yamaha manual and belt guard both state for 75W or 80W GL-3 (I think....or was it 80 or 90? don't have my sled here.) Regardless...it's somewhere in that range.

craze1cars said:
yamadoo said:

Yamadoo

I knew this sounded familiar...ditto. For what it's worth, I am not brand loyal to Mobil 1 75W90. Just happens to be easy for me to find in my area at any auto parts store. Valvoline makes a full synthetic 80W90 gear oil that I have used in the past. I'm sure other brands do as well.

I am very sure that neither 10W-30 nor ATF has the correct 75W or 80W viscosity, nor are they rated GL-3 as Yamaha specs call for. Viscosity ratings for most ATFs show that it is often thinner than even 10W30. I've never understood the reasoning behind someone using ATF in a chaincase. Best argument I ever heard for ATF is "I've been using it for X years and never had a problem." I could make the same argument for using the proper lube.

Even "chaincase lube" sold in little bottles by various brands is often not labeled with any particular viscosity or GL rating, so I am leery of those as well unless they're labled with the specific specs/ratings that match Yamaha's requirement.

The reason I would not be scared to run ATF especially 100% synthetic is because it is much thinner and in cold weather will lube better than gear oil which is what your calling chain lube. Same reason why motor oil would lube better in my opinion than 80/90 gear oil it is thinner. Everyone is after that little bit of extra HP to get an edge on their buddies well running this type of lube will have less resistance and let a little bit more HP go to your track however small it may be. Another point is because the chaincase runs with less resistance it will create less heat and run cooler. From what I remember reading last year on the 06's some were having failures and oil disapearing with no sign of leakage with the smell of oil (distilling or boiling away) both of these oils would be much less prone to do that.

I bet the Yamaha engineers that sit around the decision making table have nothing better to do than guess at what type of fluids they'll recommend for their machines. Heck, they probably just make a list and then throw darts at which one's they'll choose.

jf

I agree with ecopter and Craze 1 cars, the engineers probably thought about this. ;)!
Also after a mile or two the friction and engine heat will eliminate your concern about a cold gear box. The synthetic gear lubes are not your stiff old 75 -90 lubes we remember. Specifically the Mobile 1 bottle states for use in extreme temps , and specifically cold temperatures.

I have used Amsoil synthetic and liked it, no listing of the viscosity. I bought the Mobile 1 because I believe it is equal in performance and I can do all 4 sleds for 9 bucks

Yamadoo

ecopter said:
I bet the Yamaha engineers that sit around the decision making table have nothing better to do than guess at what type of fluids they'll recommend for their machines. Heck, they probably just make a list and then throw darts at which one's they'll choose.

jf

LOL no I think it is more of a we used this before why not use it again. This is not rocket science either any chain dipped in oil is going to get lubricated enough so it will work and a GL3 spec is a gear lube spec not a chain lube spec thus the GL which stands for Gear Lube.

yamadoo said:
I agree with ecopter and Craze 1 cars, the engineers probably thought about this. ;)!
Also after a mile or two the friction and engine heat will eliminate your concern about a cold gear box. The synthetic gear lubes are not your stiff old 75 -90 lubes we remember. Specifically the Mobile 1 bottle states for use in extreme temps , and specifically cold temperatures.

I have used Amsoil synthetic and liked it, no listing of the viscosity. I bought the Mobile 1 because I believe it is equal in performance and I can do all 4 sleds for 9 bucks

Yamadoo

I am not stating not to use these all I am stating is you can if you want to use ATF or Motor oil it will work also. Use synthetic though for the cost of it you cant go wrong. What about the guys who chaincase oil seemed to just disapear last year with no signs of leakage or damage just the smell of oil and a very hot chaincase? Do you not think that maybe just maybe regular gear oil which is a GL3 spec is not the right oil for this application. Those same engineers designed the 03 piston rings and the handle bar warmers that dont heat also. They make mistakes like everyone else.

Back