• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slydogs and Bergstrom triple-points

KubotaOne

Extreme
Website
web.mac.com
I have a stock 2006 Apex Attak, no studs. I'm currently running Slydog trail skis with 4" carbides. In an attempt to cure the darting, I've contacted Scott Bergstrom. He's recommending I go with either 4" or 6" Triple-Points with his skisavers. He says with the Attaks longer track, it tends to push more. However, I don't want to increase stearing effort. I ride moderately aggressive, on groomed packed trails in central Ontario.

What do you guys think, should I go 4" or 6"?

I also have an Attak. I added 168 studs just down the middle. I ride agressively (although I'm getting older). I like to have traction with the track but prefer to be able to steer the sled where I want. I purchased the 8" triple points from Scott. I don't know if you are running studs or not but I would go with the 6". Keep in mind that the triple points aren't really adding "more" carbide to the trail they are just making sure that you have carbide in contact most of the time. Just my opinion.

I put Bergstrom's triple points and ski savers on my Slydog Powderhounds. Haven't ridden them yet.

I feel an important point to note is that the triple point skegs are extremely fat and stiff compared to the Slydog carbides that your ski probably came with, and they are significantly "rockered" instead of flat. And when I bolted them on my Slydogs, they forced the entire Slydog ski into the same rockered/curved position as the bar. So although I have his 8 inchers installed, only a couple inches in the center of the carbide are actually touching the ground on a hard concrete-like surface.

This effect should tend to reduce steering effort dramatically, so I wouldn't fear that issue as much as you may be.

I agree in theory that the longer carbide is probably going to be a better choice. But I'll know more after the snow flies, and I admittedly can't offer you a confident recommendation right now.

I also have a stock 06 Attak with no studs. I ride groomed trails only and am using the stock skis. I put on 6" Woody's Doolys and shimmed the skis. I rode 1,800 miles last year with this set up. Between the shimming and the Dooly's.........it got rid of the darting. Very comfortable riding! ;)!

I'm in the same boat. Can't decide to go with slydogs or the new C&A razors...

I installed Powderhounds on my 07 Attak GT last month. I noticed that with the front end lifted the ski tips were higher off the ground than with the stock skis. (Greater pressure at the rear than with stock) The rubber snubbers supplied with the Slydogs provided for this effect without adding shims. Perhaps they changed snubbers for this season? KUBOTAONE did you notice this when you installed the Slydogs last season? I am running 6" triple points, ski savers and will add shims if needed. I am going to start the season without studs and see how it is.

As Craze1cars pointed out, I too noticed the "Rockered" effect by the Bergstrom triple points so I think the steering effort will be at a minimal. Trails open Dec. 1 in the U.P. !! We'll know soon enough!

Considering the darting go with 6'. anyone make duellys for these yet?

Soldier'spapa said:
I installed Powderhounds on my 07 Attak GT last month. I noticed that with the front end lifted the ski tips were higher off the ground than with the stock skis. (Greater pressure at the rear than with stock) The rubber snubbers supplied with the Slydogs provided for this effect without adding shims. Perhaps they changed snubbers for this season? KUBOTAONE did you notice this when you installed the Slydogs last season? I am running 6" triple points, ski savers and will add shims if needed. I am going to start the season without studs and see how it is. !

I found the same thing last year, Slydog rubbers push the skis back end down. I don't think they have to be shimmed.

I've tried every ski. I use the Slydogs with skisavers and Bergstrom 8" triples. 100 studs down the middle. I also have a m10 with all of the transfer set at front to stop push. The Slydogs and Bergstroms have worked the best for me.

Thanks for all the input guys. I just ordered the 6's with the skisavers this morning.

Figures, we're in a snowsquall warning right now, supposed to get 6" to 10" snow today and tonight. Happy sledding!

So did you get the snow?? I would give my eye teeth right now to be able to ride!

Indy said:
I've tried every ski. I use the Slydogs with skisavers and Bergstrom 8" triples. 100 studs down the middle. I also have a m10 with all of the transfer set at front to stop push. The Slydogs and Bergstroms have worked the best for me.

Indy what sled are you using the M-10?

Back