• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Simmons vs. Pilots

What do we need to do, to make the pilots fit on the Apex?

You need the Ski-doo rubber ski bumper part # 506151233 . I felt that the back of the ski was pushed down (like shimming) to much so I trimmed some of the top rear of the rubber bumper about 1/4" to bring the back of the ski up a little. You will also need to turn at least one of the bushings around to make room for the Yamaha spindle. It didn't feel like there was enough room with only one bushing turned around so I turned them both around. I then added stainless steel washers between the spindle bushings and the ski's to keep the spindle from digging into the plastic as the ski pivots.

Attachments

• IMG_2247-3.jpg
    IMG_2247-3.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 137
mrance111 said:
You need the Ski-doo rubber ski bumper part # 506151233 . I felt that the back of the ski was pushed down (like shimming) to much so I trimmed some of the top rear of the rubber bumper about 1/4" to bring the back of the ski up a little. You will also need to turn at least one of the bushings around to make room for the Yamaha spindle. It didn't feel like there was enough room with only one bushing turned around so I turned them both around. I then added stainless steel washers between the spindle bushings and the ski's to keep the spindle from digging into the plastic as the ski pivots.
This is exactly how I did mine. I paid $200 for two ski's, two loops and two rubber bumpers, I already had a set of "intense" carbides for precission ski's that my dealer let me trade for "intense" carbides for pilot skis. I think the Pilots are a bargain compared to any other aftermarket skis and I've heard nothing but great results on the Apex. ;)!

sj said:
what about the wear issue and they dont flex do they?
I looked at them on a REV yesterday at my dealer Steve. They appear to be more flexable for 07 and the side are beefed up over previous years. I was able to bend the tip down by stepping on it, the previous one's from what I remember wouldn't do that.

I'll stick to the simmons..very predictable to me...dan call me on cell

I love my simmons, I have them on both sleds. My Rev buddy I ride with hated the pilot skis he said they darted to bad compared to his other Revs that had precision and didn"t have good flotation off trail so he bought a set of simmons also and loves them over the pilots. I have never used the pilots so I personally don't know how they work I just know what he said about them. I can say however I don't get were every one thinks the simmons skis take more sterring effort I don't notice and neither does my wife that rides the Apex when she rides with me.some peolpe must be real weak

yamaouch08 said:
I love my simmons, I have them on both sleds. My Rev buddy I ride with hated the pilot skis he said they darted to bad compared to his other Revs that had precision and didn"t have good flotation off trail so he bought a set of simmons also and loves them over the pilots. I have never used the pilots so I personally don't know how they work I just know what he said about them. I can say however I don't get were every one thinks the simmons skis take more sterring effort I don't notice and neither does my wife that rides the Apex when she rides with me.some peolpe must be real weak

Jumped off my rtx with pilots,onto another rtx with simmons....HUGE difference in heaviness.....Pilots are very light feeling...Simmons are nice for certain conditions but Pilots IMO are FAR FAR better overall.

dan

machzed said:
yamaouch08 said:

Jumped off my rtx with pilots,onto another rtx with simmons....HUGE difference in heaviness.....Pilots are very light feeling...Simmons are nice for certain conditions but Pilots IMO are FAR FAR better overall.

dan
That is your opinion,I will take Simmons skis all day long over pilot skis,the Simmons skis are FAR FAR better overall that is my opinion

Back