• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Open or Closed?

I'm closing. Really cant see any reason to leave it open. Have never heard about exhaust cooling other than on all yamaha 4strokes snowmobiles..

I personally asked the Yamaha rep why is there a hole. Answer was it made 4 more hp with the hole thatn without. Also if you want you can run regular gas , but hp will drop as well, as the timing will retard itsself.

Ok, but how would they know that it gains 4 hp with the hole open. I mean there is no snow hitting that pipe when running it in the dyno.

EsonPZ said:
Ok, but how would they know that it gains 4 hp with the hole open. I mean there is no snow hitting that pipe when running it in the dyno.

HA! Best post in this thread. Captain Common Sense Prevails!

Good point. I would certainly close mine off if I had one of these sleds, too much ice and crap all over the running boards for my taste.

One member at Snowest.com ,close it, his comment "it melted everything " I don't see how but that was his comment,so if condition are right you can melt the flares or worst, I am installing the Factory Aluminum flares.

If thats right it must be the stock pipe who gets so warm. I'v talked to Marklund at MC-X because they close this hole completely on their turbokit and he told me that they have tested it out and there was no problem at all doing this.

I don't see why it should melt anything down. Look how close the exhaust runs to the number plate and seat on a 450F and it doesn't melt down in the Summer at 90 degrees. If that muffler runs that hot, you'd gain 15 HP by strait piping the thing!

Back