• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Open or Closed?

jsaumier said:
guys yamaha came out with a kit that closes the hole eliminates snow and ice on the running boards and ice buildup underneath for $100.00 canadian what are you waiting for dont buy imitations, the side covers only build more ice on the inside dont spend useless money
well,i covered the rear hole(i know,it sounds funny)but i still have alot of ice on the boards,does this kit contain a cover for the front hole

if you didn't seal the seams it will still leak some...mine does... i would run a bead of silicone between your block off plate and your tunnel, that way no snow is getting in between your seams.

Pat,

I covered the rear hole and siliconed before installing the panel, but still had a lot of ice and snow build up. Closing the front hole seems like the best way to go. The kit does not include a panel for the front hole. Just cut a piece of aluminum and rivet it on.

jsaumier said:
guys yamaha came out with a kit that closes the hole eliminates snow and ice on the running boards and ice buildup underneath for $100.00 canadian what are you waiting for dont buy imitations, the side covers only build more ice on the inside dont spend useless money

Well, I wish Yamaha would come out with a fix for the VL as well - I guess there is hope since they recognized a problem on the Phazer and fixed it!

I didn't realize the tunnel ice build-up was an issue on the Phazer like the VL and MP - just thought it was guys getting their feet and pants wet and stuff. The problem with the VL is that the complete muffler is in the tunnel so closing it off would be much more difficult and would have to include an extension on the tailpipe. I hoped Yamaha would make some changes on the '09 but it all looks the same - still not a big enough problem in their eyes I guess or not enough people making noise.

As a side note, there are quite a few 07 and 08 VL's for sale by owners here in NL, Canada, so I suspect some people have lost faith.

08RTX said:
Pat,

I covered the rear hole and siliconed before installing the panel, but still had a lot of ice and snow build up. Closing the front hole seems like the best way to go. The kit does not include a panel for the front hole. Just cut a piece of aluminum and rivet it on.
thanks for the info

Back