• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1st oil change

MtnLiteMartin

Extreme
Well I reached the 500 miles mark (800 km) so its time for oil and filter change!

I entered the garage with the feeling I would be in there for a while...and I was right!!

Theres nothing too complicated but lots of parts have to come off the sled! Every plastic has to come off, headlight, airbox, skidplate.

I didnt remove the filter yet and its the part that scares me the most...Very little room to get to it.. I have to buy the new filter and all stores are closed today so I figured it would be a 2 day job.

Heres a few pics.. took me about 2 hours to figure out how to disassemble and do it!!

Attachments

• 100_15201.JPG
    100_15201.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 464
  • 100_15181.JPG
    100_15181.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 477
  • 100_15171.JPG
    100_15171.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 493
  • 100_15191.JPG
    100_15191.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 469

Good pics, while anyone is in there, I would recommend checking the clamps holding the throttle body on to the intake manifold, you can see in the 3rd pic.

Just in case they have loosened.

-Steve

I'm about to do mine this weekend since it's going to rain... again anyway!!! :o| :o| :o|

Was it difficult to remove the oil filter ???

How tight should we screw back the new oil filter ??? Hand tight ???

Errol

Well i finished the job today. It will be a lot easier next time now that I know how and what to remove. I changed the oil and filter and put sled back together in about 1 hour and a half. I think next time will be a 2- 2and a half hour job.

I used a filter wrench that goes over the filter. I tried with a strap type wrench with no luck!

Note that there is oil contained in the round oil cooler placed over the filter..(you can see it well in 1st pic) 4 allen screws to remove, o-ring sealed.

I always use the same method to tighten a oil filter. I screw until the o-ring touches the metal than 3/4 turn more...

Did you remove the oil cooler first to get more space for the wrench

Peter

yes. I removed the cooler to get room for the strap wrench but couldnt get a good grip on the filter. The way to go is a cap type wrench IMO.

The manual says to use 2.63 liters to fill up and I used almost 3 (2.85). So theres some old oil in the cooler that in my opinion is good to remove!

Holy moly I've got questions...LOL

BV1: Throttle body clamps, mine were loose, but the way the clamps are positioned, it doesn't look like they can rotate to get better access with a screwdriver, in fact I couldn't get at one of them at all. Any suggestions?

obr: code 14 and 26 - what happened? The throttle bodies came off?

MtnLiteMartin: what size of cap type filter wrench do I need to get? I don't own any, never have...got a pic? It would help me so I know what I'm looking for. ALSO, the oil cooler, its the mystery for me up to this point, I've read about it but haven't been able to get clairification on it - how is that oil being cooled exactly? What's that oil running through?

Thanks for any answers guys!

go back a few weeks to see the fun I had with my oil change and motor mount bolt. Like you said it'll be much easyier the next time. I've allready been back in there to readjust the motor mount spacer thing. Much easyier the second goround. Unfortunatly I wasn't aware the throtlebodies might note be tight. seeing how it's 55* hear in IL I might go back in this weekend to check them and see if any other things have come loose. but the last ride was awsome and I can deel with the open tunnel so far. Ran it hard many times , left it idling to look at the map, got on, warning lights on, run it into the looser snow and it goes off. Sounds like everythings working so far. I'd be concerned if the lite didn't come on. First year bugs. :Rockon:

Yellowknife...You need a 69mm wrench. Its like a socket that fits over the end of the filter.

The oil cooler is like a small oil tank that prestone flow around . You can see in the first pic the 2 antifreeze hoses on the cooler. I'll get a pic of the wrench later

Just got mine back from the dealer. Oil,filter, grease and check things over for $150 cdn. After listening to some of the oil change horror stories I am glad to pay. Topper

are you guys also changing your chain case oil? just curious I'm planning on it when I get the mile on to do my first service.

Topper said:
Just got mine back from the dealer. Oil,filter, grease and check things over for $150 cdn. After listening to some of the oil change horror stories I am glad to pay. Topper

Thats a very good price!! Just oil and filter is around 60$. I dont think your dealer know what he got himself in haha!! Stay by the mechanic when he does your oil change if you can. How to dismantle the sled is good stuff to know when something happens on the trail. You can also tell us how long he's gonna take to do it!!

Checkman..I will change chaincase oil only next season with next oil change (no filter this time :Rockon: )

MtnLiteMartin said:
Topper said:

Thats a very good price!! Just oil and filter is around 60$. I dont think your dealer know what he got himself in haha!! Stay by the mechanic when he does your oil change if you can. How to dismantle the sled is good stuff to know when something happens on the trail. You can also tell us how long he's gonna take to do it!!

Checkman..I will change chaincase oil only next season with next oil change (no filter this time :Rockon: )
They charged one and half hours labour for the oil change and service so I figured that wasn't too bad. Topper

Back