• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1st oil change

I'm advising to change the oil 2-3 times more often, and the filter as often(mileage-wise), as you guys. Flogging a small motor, I believe, dilutes the oil with gas pretty quickly.

I trust that Yamaha has done some research on this issue and found that this little engine running in clean air conditions doesn't need oil filter change before 12,000 miles, other than after initial run-in.
If high quality oil is used and frequently changed, how can this little engine fill the filter with particles and eventually clog it after only 500 or 1000 miles or whatever distance between oil change ? I don't think so either.
If so, Yamaha would have placed the filter in a more convenient place hopefully.
Most people will probably change filter more often anyway. At every third oil change, or every third year should be sufficient for my peace of mind, especially after turbo conversion. I will probably have a annual driving distance of well below 1000 miles.
Oil filters usually becomes more effective after a while of use. If an oil filter is totally clogged there must be severe abnormal wear or other contamination coming from the outside, like sabotage or something .....
One can ofcourse cut in half a used filter and check what it contains of particles if in doubt. Also cut the first filter to see what the running-in has filled it with :tg:

I've cut apart many oil filters from my cars and bikes and only after break-ins or severe engine damage have I seen metal in them. Dirt only seems to be visible(very little) after careless engine service while windy and dusty. There is a slight bit of metal flakes after a top end break-in. Other than those times, never have seen even a little crud in an oil filter.
Thinking for myself

Just did my oil and filter change last night!
Took me 4 hours! It will take less than that the next time!

I manage not to remove the oil cooler to remove the old filter and install the new one!

Glad I have small hands!

I'm happy that I have done it myself. Now I know how to get everything apart!

I must say that there is a lot of enginnering in that sled!

Errol

Well! I unscrew the filter from the top but it slipped from my hands and went through the bottom! :o|
I do not think you can install it from the bottom.

I installed the new one from the top! I put some duct tape around the oil filter as to not drop it to the bottom. I tightened it by hand since I was affraid to damage the filter with my tool to unscrew oil filters!

The old one was damaged after I was done removing it!

Errol

Finished my oil and filter change tonight. For anyone having dificulties getting the filter off, go to Sears and buy the filter wrench that has 3 claws and a spot for a ratchet or a box end wrench. Slide it in from the top, and use a ratcheting box end wrench, and it comes off in seconds without removing any of the oil cooler. Just $12 and it makes the job very easy. It took me about 1 hour of actual work time. If anyone wants the part number for the craftsman filter wrench email me.

Vmax4 said:
Finished my oil and filter change tonight. For anyone having dificulties getting the filter off, go to Sears and buy the filter wrench that has 3 claws and a spot for a ratchet or a box end wrench. Slide it in from the top, and use a ratcheting box end wrench, and it comes off in seconds without removing any of the oil cooler. Just $12 and it makes the job very easy. It took me about 1 hour of actual work time. If anyone wants the part number for the craftsman filter wrench email me.
I spent more time getting the filtre off than I did tearing the machine down to get to it! That wrench would have made life easier, Im sure! I used all I had (channel locks) nothing left of the old filtre when it finally cracked loose!

Oh No! Sears Canada doesn't have that wrench, and Sears.com won't ship to Canada! D'OH!

I'm waiting for a price on the Yamaha wrench. If that doesn't work out for some bizarre reason, could someone get me the sears wrench in the U.S. and ship it to me?

We are hope to have our Phazer oil filter relocation kit finished up very soon. This will require removing nothing to change the oil filter!

Back