• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Proactive Suspension Idler Wheel Upgrade

garserio

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper
2001 AC Z370
2006 AC F120
Since Yammie changed their idler wheels in 2005, there has been much discussion on TY regarding how to upgrade to better ones. When I bought my Vector in 2005, I blew through my idler wheels in the first 100 miles and was quite disgusted, but knew I could simply upgrade to the older style ones... EXCEPT this was not possible with the inner wheels on the Proactive suspension. This is because they are sandwiched between the slide rails with an idler arm seperating them. To make matters even worse, the wheels were positioned to ride between the drive lugs on the track making a potential simple modification complicated. So, for all you 2005 Vector, 2006-2007 Nytro and 2007 RTX owners, attached is a complete story with pictures on how to upgrade your idler wheels.

A few months back I proposed making and selling the custom parts necessary to perform the upgrade, but the interest level was low and the responses I did get weren't all that supportive. So, you get the info for free instead...

Good Luck!

Attachments

• Proactive Idler Wheel Upgrade.pdf
    245.7 KB · Views: 1,313
  • Pivot Arm Modification 22.JPG
    Pivot Arm Modification 22.JPG
    557.5 KB · Views: 969

Thanks for the well written post and instruction pdf.

IMO this really is the solution to the idler wheel problem. Last season my buddies went with Yamaha's spoked accessory wheels which lasted fairly well compared to the stock wheels - but I went with the 03/04 Yamaha wheels with 6205 bearings. Riding the same trails and conditions, the 03/04 wheels outlasted the much more expensive accessory wheels by roughly a factor of 2

I was just about to make some drawings of these parts to send to a machine shop.

Are you planning to make a turn key option for people who want to purchase the parts?

My preference would be to purchase all 3 parts as a bolt in kit and keep the stock parts stock.

ReX said:
Thanks for the well written post and instruction pdf.

IMO this really is the solution to the idler wheel problem. Last season my buddies went with Yamaha's spoked accessory wheels which lasted fairly well compared to the stock wheels - but I went with the 03/04 Yamaha wheels with 6205 bearings. Riding the same trails and conditions, the 03/04 wheels outlasted the much more expensive accessory wheels by roughly a factor of 2

I was just about to make some drawings of these parts to send to a machine shop.

Are you planning to make a turn key option for people who want to purchase the parts?

My preference would be to purchase all 3 parts as a bolt in kit and keep the stock parts stock.

Thanks for the feedback. I originally planned on getting the collars made and selling them with the setup tools to grind your own pivot tube, but people didn't like my price. Machine shop are not cheap unless you purchase larger QTY's. I couldn't get enough interest to get the price down enough for everyone. Also, I'd be taking the financial risk of buying the parts and there is no guarantee that people would buy them even if the price was lower.

I can't find a way to sell them for less than $50 a set without losing $$$. When I proposed that price, a few people thought i was trying to "get rich quick" selling custom collars for Proactive suspensions... give me break! Even if every proactive owner in the world bought a set, I couldn't even buy a new sled with the profit! Too many skeptics I suppose...

So, I aborted the project and made the instruction sheet instead. I provided the info for free which should prove my original intentions of helping fellow snowmobilers while keeping my own customizing costs neutral.

garserio, Would you want to take all of your info put it into a word doc that I would turn into HTML that we could add to out tech pages. This info would get you into our drawings we have for tech articles.

Tom

MrSled said:
garserio, Would you want to take all of your info put it into a word doc that I would turn into HTML that we could add to out tech pages. This info would get you into our drawings we have for tech articles.

Tom

No problem, Tom. I'll try to get it converted this week and email it you.

Greg

garserio said:
MrSled said:

Tom

No problem, Tom. I'll try to get it converted this week and email it you.

Greg

Tom,

Did you get my email with the html files? I never heard back from you...

If not, I'll resend.

Greg,
Thank you, I did get your reply. I'm holding off on doing anything due to lack of snow and the fact that I might be trading the sled in very soon.
Again,thank you
Tom

Back