• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

POLL, Phazer no start below -15 degrees F

Ted Jannetty

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.jannettyracing.com
NO details just your Name, Vin number and YES I experienced a no start cold.

If you did not have a problem below -15 F you need not reply.

I talked to Yamaha today and they say they don't have a problem so I want to collect this data and forward it to Yamaha.

I too experienced this Sat morning Jan 27th 07.

I have seen this happen on some Apex relays getting moisture in them and not allowing the fuel injection to kick in. Just thought I would let you know, everyone that I know have brought the relay inside and let it dry out and it was good to go.

Also I think that the users should call the dealers on their own and make these complaints with their VIN as I don't think Yamaha will validate your data without the owners feedback.

mine was hard starting a couple of week's ago up in new hampsire when it was -22f, after doing my 500 mile oil & filter change, i went with synthetic oil and was up last week-end -15f, fired right no problem since

Mine would not start!! Changed the plugs ($14.00 a piece) and it started right up. However, changing the plugs was a pain in the a$$. I bet it took me around 2 hours. Next time probably 30 to 45 minutes. It sucked!!

Scott

I have a phazer FX with 800 miles on it and it wouldnt start when it was
-25F this weekend. I was staying at our cabin and we had to put it on a trailer and haul it to town to warm it up. It seems that about -20F is the cut off.

PhazerJunk, Did you ever think about taking it the dealer and have them register your problems with Yamaha problems or is it just better to come on the site and maybe we can fix it for you??

Change your name, its obvious you are not here for help but rather to complain.

Ted, This site is good for identifying problems, not good for gathering data

In our polls on handwarmer and chain case, we found people voting that didnt even own 06 sleds.

Each of you need to contact your dealer, that is really the best way. I am not for doing it your way because of past abuse.

Phazer junk, I rode a Phazer about 10 days ago for a full day.

No way does the word junk need to be attached to that model name. I was very impressed with that sled.

Those Phazers are a blast to ride maybe you have a problem with your starter best bet is to take it to your dealer and have them take a look at it after sitting out all night. Yamaha does not collect data from any source but it's own take it in and complain to your dealer.
Phazerjunk Coming on here with a name like that is just going to make trouble with all the members that have phazers and are very happy with them you wanna play here you play nice or you don't play at all. Send me a PM with what you would like for a new username and I'll fix it for you. Otherwise one click and your outta here, it's that simple. BTW did you enjoy the first 800 miles?

Seems odd, but mine starts all the time. the coldest so far was -15*F, and it cranked for about 3 seconds, fired right up.

Another guy on a GT locally, was telling me his was a hard starter, it seems some are better than others? Even warmer temps, his cranks, and cranks, then eventually fires. He did tell the dealer, and the dealer did basically nothing, but tell him it will get better with time (which is wierd, cause mine always started right up, new to 300 miles) his has about the same mileage.

I did take it to my dealer, he called Yamaha while I was sitting in his office, on speaker phone, the rep mentioned changing the plugs but I would have to pay parts and labor or parts and do it myself.

The Rep also Stated they have had NO complaints about hard starting cold.

So either he is stonewalling me or the dealers are not forwarding the information to Yamaha.

As far as going richer, I am not so sure that is the way to go, Mine almost started for like 1-2 seconds then died and while cranking I noticed Black smoke and the motor was almost hydraulicing, it would crank then sharply stop then continue to crank and stop and crank and stop.

It aint pretty.

I opened the air box gave her a shot of starting fluid and she fired right up.
Starting fluid will clear a flooded motor which in my opinion is what is going on Too rich in very cold weather.

It is not very often throughout the winter that the temps drop that low at 9am when we go out to ride.
So it will be an intermitent problem.

Recieved a phone call today, Guess Who?

Had a long conversation and voiced my concerns, and Yamaha is listening and interested as long as there is legitamate proof and not just a bunch of band wagon riders or customer modified machines complaining about there own induced problems.

On the other hand they have not been able to duplicate the No Start condition except for one time and it turned out to be a faulty sensor.

They are investigating at this time base on the conversation with them.

Needless to say it was a pleasant and confidence (In Yamaha) building phone call.

The best advice I can give you is, Keep your sled all stock, follow all factory recommendations, on fuel and maintainence, keep good records and if you experience this problem Report it immediately to your Dealer and ask that they forward the information directly to Yamaha while your standing there.

I own 6 Yamaha 4 strokes 03 RX1, 05 RX1, 05 RXwarrior, 05 RSVenture, 06 Apex GT, and 07 Phazer. also had an 04 RXWarrior I bought new and sold.

Even with all the minor anoyances I can't immagine riding anything else.
This coming from a Ski-Doo guy of 8 years.

Oh, and they want my Dealer to Try a few things, so I will be dropping it off Tommorow.

Ted.

I had one problem at -15*F and took 7 mins to start. The next day was just as cold and fired right up! Last night was about 0* and took a little longer then normal to start, some puttering, but finally fired and ran.

-Skip

yamaha corp is very,very good to deal with as long as you get the right person to deal with, i have been snowmobiling since 1972 and have only owned yamaha's, i own alot of them, snowmobiles, atv's and motorcycles, wouldn't ride anything else but yamaha

about 5-10 degrees F or colder and elevation was around 10.5k ft... very very windy with gusts up to 70 mph on the ridges. lots of deep deep snow in the right spots.. ;) !!!! another stash pays off

0203pow2.jpg

more up on weknowsnow

Back