• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

studs outside row?

flmcut1

Pro
would u recommemd running studs outside row . looking formore traction, i have 144 now. i ride aggressive corner to corner. i got 23 tooth gear and getting ulmer racing stage 2. so i think i need more studs. ty

mike :rocks:

go to 192 up the center. That is 1 more stud per row. I do not like studs in the outside row. Maxdlx

studs on the outside row are a great help, BUT, if your an aggressive type of rider, and run in marginal snow conditions, in my opinion that is probably the best way to ruin a track, studs to the outside of the windows are extremely easy to tear out, and from my experience your tear one the rest always seem to follow... given ample snow conditions, you'll probably never have a problem, but roots, rocks, and snirt (dirty snow, due to little to no snow coverage) is a death wish to a track with studs outside of the windows... your call, but ill never stud another track anywhere but up the middle. just my .02

If you are an aggressive rider corner to corner, you will not be happy if yo add studs to outside. I did it and hated it. Yes, you gain in acceleration but it took the fun out of cornering. Just my 2 cents.

BADSLED What do you mean "that it took the fun out of cornering?" That you can't slide the back end out?

JohnWI said:
BADSLED What do you mean "that it took the fun out of cornering?" That you can't slide the back end out?

Yep. There is a comprise to studding the outside. I've always ran 192 studs in my 121" tracks. You really have to work to get the sled around a tight corner at higher speeds. If them studs get traction, well, lets just say, it's a ride. I've come close to fliping my sleds over due to low/poor snow conditions quite a few times.

-Vince

I agree. Its harder to get the sled to "settle" into the (apex) of the corner pardon the pun! Without studs in the outside row, its easier to back the sled into a corner which keeps the front planted. The 192 will help a lot. Unfortunately with the Ripsaw, there isn't much stud protruding above the paddle with a 1.325" stud. If I had to do it again, I would go 1.450. Some say it may be a problem with interference, but I noticed the area arouind where the pipe goes throgh the tunnel is dug up anyway.

Me too. Studs on the outside seem to catch in the corners, makes the sled feel like it want's to high side when pushing hard. Same reason I don't like the 136". TOO MUCH traction.

You might want to try some doublers in the center while doing the 192....

You have to run studs in the outside bands if you want it to hook up. Don't want to hook good then just run the middle. I use two hole plates as much as possible.

this is what i got now
mikespics008.jpg

On my srx I had 192 studs, on the outside I had a stud between every lug and I loved it. I rode that thing hard, as long as you are smart about it you won't have any studs rip out and don't do every other lug. I only had the stock track on my 2000 srx that would also make a difference.

mrance111 said:
I'm a very agressive rider and have every other outside lug studded and haven't had any tear outs.

IMG_2157.jpg

You did a nice job studding it. You squared up your square backers. Thats the way to do her if you don't want tear outs. I'm taking my ripsaw off and going with a fully clipped 1" track with 192 studs. I hope it hooks up a hell of alot better. I had my Viper studded on the outside and I only ever lost one stud after alot of abuse... ha-ha

chadman said:
On my srx I had 192 studs, on the outside I had a stud between every lug and I loved it. I rode that thing hard, as long as you are smart about it you won't have any studs rip out and don't do every other lug. I only had the stock track on my 2000 srx that would also make a difference.

Bottom line is if you run studs on inside only and than add more to outside there is NO WAY you will be able to corner the way you did before with inside studded only.

Back