• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel level vs bars on gauge.

08NitroRTX

VIP Member
Palmer, Alaska 61`11'06.31"N/149`55'21.13"W
Website
www.nytro23.com
Ok Since I was bored today and I like to syphon gas....lol

I went and filled up my RTX and here is what I found using 7.4 as total volume in tank (more on this later!!)

Full tank eight bars on gauge 7.4 gallons in tank.
7 bars on gauge = 6.1 gallons in tank
6 bars on gauge = 5.6 gallons in tank
5 bars on gauge = 4.7 gallons in tank
4 bars on gauge = 4.2 gallons in tank
3 bars on gauge = 3.6 gallons in tank
2 bars on gauge = 2.8 gallons in tank Low fuel light comes on!
1 bar on gauge = 2.1 gallons in tank
0 bars on gauge = 1.0 gallon in tank

Those figures are using 7.4 gallons as full! The sad news is my sled was missing and died as I was loading it (out of fuel) but I was only able to get 6.7 gallons in the tank. (yes I was level) I pulled the white collar thing out of the tank and all that got me was .1 of a gallon more that actually ran out through the vent into the bed of my truck!
SO IMHO we have 6.7 gallons of usable fuel in our tanks!! With around .7 gallons left in tank the sled starts starving for fuel!!!

Nope not retired just a REALLY nice work schedule!

I would NOT say the Tn'T is faster! I would say because it's almost 100 pounds lighter it's quicker for the first 30 feet or so but by then the FX Nytro will have caught it and be pulling away. The Nytro pulls WAY harder! (and the Nytro really tore up the grass!!)

lol Well I knew I needed to know EXACTLY how much fuel I had at any given bar.
FWIW; I also filled tank very slowly; 1/2 gal at a time, stopped, shook sled, and waited between each 1/2 gal. (I only wanted to do this once!!)

Good new is: It'll be the cheapest modern sled I have ever filled up from empty!! And I really like THAT!

Great info! I did the same type of thing on my Zx 440. It had a clear tank and I added one gallon at a time and made a mark on the side of the tank so I'd know exactly how much gas I had.

I'm concerned about the unuseable .7 gals. On cars the fuel pumps are generally mounted in a location that will always keep them submerged so as to protect them from running dry. .7 gals seems like a lot more gas than necessary to accomplish that.

i'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about the range on the Nytro. it is goign to be equal with or maybe even lower than an injected 2-stroke. I think they really f-d up on the tank capacity! I could rely on my Vector do do 130 miles at race speed. I'm not thrilled about the prospects of needing to buy an aftermarket tank right off the bat.

rockrider,
It looks like your Vector was set up to Cross-country race. Are you planning to race yout FX Nytro?
Ever do the Mayors Cup? That race is BRUTAL!!

On to the topic:
I know when the doo SDI came out the was an issue of fuel pick up tube not being correct and a fix. So this may be an issue with my sled not being able to use all the fuel in the tank. I'll drain the fuel out and see if it does it again. I was hoping for an honest 7 gal of usable fuel with this tank!

find the end of the vent hose, its probably hooked on the frame, and run it up under the handlebar pad and secure with a twist tie. this allows removal of the white plastic piece in the tank and lets you fill it to the brim without any leaks. DO NOT fill to the very top if storing the sled, as the plastic piece allowed room for gas expansion due to temperature changes.

08Nytro,
Yes, I've done the Mayor's Cup many times and my Vector has worked pretty well. It's too bad that we don't have the room for longer laps as then the couse wouldn't get so torn up. Last spring it was pretty bad with all the wind we received. The year before was pretty smooth and fast.

I'll be racing my Nytro this season in all the South Central Alaska XC races. I'm sure I'll be asking you more questions as you get your sled set up for the Iron Dog.

Thats great info, thanks 08nitrortx. To the question on the range of this thing. I have an Mtx on order and it´s possible, with the exaust turnout, to have a extra three gallons on the extension so im sligthly less worried. Correct me if i´m wrong, but isn´t the "old" vector one of the fourstonkers with the best mileage, if not the best. Heard its runs cheaper than the phazer. Now will the fuelconsumtion go up or down in a refined engine with the efi? My bet is it will go down. ;)! Question is how much does it need with 14 lbs of BOOST. :Rockon:

Yep, the AMMC races are the others I'm planning to run.

Are you going to fit a larger, aftermarket tank on your sled?

Back