• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

STUDs....How many, what kind, etc.????

Yamaha Man

Expert
Hey guys,

:-o The snowy season is upon us :Rockon:

I bought a '07 APEX RTX as a left over last spring and I've been pondering and reading posts all summer and I just can't decide on how many studs and what brand to go with!? I think I want 144 studs up the center...its stock so I think that'll be good!? But I've read posts on how Stud Boys are best, Woodys are best, etc. and then I've read that Sno Stuff or Shade tree brand studs are just as good and their WAY cheaper! So I was just wondering what all you guys think, and what you guys have and recommend.

Thanks in advance...

Yamaha Man :yam:

I have 144 woody's signature series, and have had no troubles with them. I made my own template using doubles and single, and allowing a clear path down the very center for shock eye clearance. I'll post a pic sometime soon (sled is in storage yet), but with all the trashy Iowa conditions I have to ride in, I haven't bent or broken any in about 600 miles of riding..

i have 144 woodys ss .
mikespics008.jpg

Studs

IMO, If your not going ice drag much 144 is about the max I'd go. Rotating mass is a killer it eats up horsepower/performance. I run the plastic bender plates to save on weight. I only run 96 on my Attak. For trail use I think it's right on and I ride agressive. My theory is if you don't like it you can always add more.

Thanks for the quick replys guys. Yea I guess I've always thought 144 studs for the apex b/c thats what everone else seems to use.

I herd the Stud "Theory" is to use between 1 to 1.5 times (x) your H.P. ex. Apex 150HP X 1 = 150 studs.

But now that I'm thinking 96 is a lot, haha...prolly good enough....!? idk

My opinion is that you should run at least 144 studs up the middle. Alot of people only run 96 here and have no problems. But I believe that when you have a 600 pound machine with 150HP, that is going to put alot of pressure on the studs and when you run less studs there is more pressure on each stud. Yes 96 studs is a very fast set up, due to less weight, but personally I would go with at least 144.

A while back on my shorty RTX, I ran 192 1.375 SS Studs with my 121 ripsaw. A bit on the aggressive side, it worked well for me.

Attachments

• t_im000643_106.jpg
    t_im000643_106.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 371
I have 96 up the midle on my Apex Gt...Going on its 3 rd year now and have not lost a single stud. The track looks great too and I have about 7000 kms on it..

Woodys is the way to go, end of discussion.

I use stainless signature series studs with woodys big nuts with a total of 162 studs with single/double pattern for the 136" track. Stainless is nice because they dont rust, but they will bend easier then regular steel. BUT, I have had only around 3 ever bend slightly on me.

If I had to do it all over again, I would use the all double pattern. I have had one single stud pull through, but no doubles, because its preety much impossible for that to happen.

With the nuts when installing, make sure you use blue loctite along with the star washers, then once you actually get out and ride with the studs, go ahead and tighten them down again, because they will need it. You know theyre at a proper torque once the heads are below flush with the rubber and there is good resistance on your ratchet. With a single stud, it should be tight enough that when you torque with the ratchet, the whole stud/backerplate should spin barely.

Here is a pic of my setup.

Attachments

• P1010029 (Large).JPG
    P1010029 (Large).JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 406
1.25 lug 144" Ripsaw track on ’05 RS Venture

In 2005 put on
118 Woody's Gold Digger Traction Master 5/16 1.325, square aluminum backers, regular nuts. $310.
2900 miles.
Bent: 4
Broken: 38
Pull thru: 0

In 2006 replaced all Woody’s with
118 Shade Tree Stainless Steel 2 year warranty 5/16 1.40, Air Lite 45* angle plastic backers, regular nuts. $191.
1900 miles in a worse snow year.
Bent: 0
Broken: 0

2007, 1800 more miles.
Bent: 4 slightly
Broken: 0

Studs - Shadetreepowersports.com
Backers – Denniskirk.com

Thats funny because thats the post I read and was wondering if I should just do that...thanks Maddogjeff. I tried finding your post but couldn't find it again. lol

I use woody's gold digger stud.only 3 stud bent on 192 for 2 season with regular nut.I don't use tall nut because i prefer a bent ( or broke ) stud than a pull true the track.My 02.cent.

Back