• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

STUDs....How many, what kind, etc.????

I have used the Fast Trac Top Gun II studs and the Fast Trac Air Lite Xl polymer backers on my last several sleds for a total of over 20K miles of abuse. 144 in the woodys V pattern (every other on the outsides) has always worked well for me.

These are the best studs and best backers on the market IMO. I like the round polymer backers because if they spin they still look fine unlike the square ones that I would have to constantly re-straighten (I have OCD).

Fast Trac Polymer backers are advertised to be lighter than aluminum and stronger than steel. I have never once cracked, bent, or lost a single backer despite riding like a maniac over every surface that you can imagine.

Blue Dave said:
I have used the Fast Trac Top Gun II studs and the Fast Trac Air Lite Xl polymer backers on my last several sleds for a total of over 20K miles of abuse. 144 in the woodys V pattern (every other on the outsides) has always worked well for me.

These are the best studs and best backers on the market IMO. I like the round polymer backers because if they spin they still look fine unlike the square ones that I would have to constantly re-straighten (I have OCD).

Fast Trac Polymer backers are advertised to be lighter than aluminum and stronger than steel. I have never once cracked, bent, or lost a single backer despite riding like a maniac over every surface that you can imagine.

I have always used Woody's, but this year with the new sled I switched to the Fast-Trac Top Gun II. I have heard really good things about these studs, and I gotta tell ya, I really like them, the backers are also really nice. Here is what I did single/double pattern up the middle. With the long track I used Woody's 162 pattern.

rx-1005.jpg

I for years used exclusively fast-tracs.....but they got pricey and the rumor was they were recently being made in china...but yes I like a radiused shoulder stud better.

thats looking like them...I say looking because theres some confusion ...fast trac , extremes , red tips all use either a very similar or the same "blank" supposedly...and the main difference is the brazing material and carbide insert...

They look like they are the same to me... Great price!

actually on reading the description again I see the silver brazed description which is a fast trac detail...

btw
the nylon washer pictured is NOT recommended for the longer studs we'd use...

sj said:
actually on reading the description again I see the silver brazed description which is a fast trac detail...

btw
the nylon washer pictured is NOT recommended for the longer studs we'd use...

On the following page I asome your talking about these http://www.royaldistributing.com/Shoppi ... 9/277.html 0.39c fast trac washers right????

and do you still need to use taller nuts???

Daranello said:
whats stronger polymer or nylon backers?

I know the Fast-Trac polymer have a lifetime warranty. This is the first time for me using the polymer backers so I can't say to much about them yet, or compare thenm to the nylon, but I would think polymer would be stronger than the nylon.

"Sho Gun II" is not the same as Fast-Trac Top Gun II. You can buy them direct on the Fast-Trac website http://www.fasttractraction.com/index.htm
or for a little cheaper on the Dennis Kirk website http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/p ... 9&prev.y=6

In either case get the Top Gun II and the Air Lite XL polymer backers which have a raised center area for additional support of longer studs. I also buy the stainless steel nylock nuts and use them instead of the steel nylock nuts that come with the studs.

The stainless nuts won't rust like the steel ones do.

Back