• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Headlight--high low split modification

Resse

Veteran
Got bored out in the garage the other day, decided to do some testing on the low/high beam problem (when the low is adjusted where I want it the high is too high). Found that spacing the bulb back about .150 inch reduces the "SPREAD" between the high and low about 50 per cent. I did this testing in the comfort of the garage, this is how the test was done.

1. taped a yard stick to the garage door
2. lined up the sled highlight 134 inches away from the yard stick.
3. wired the bulb to a battery (did not want to run the sled in the garage
4. hooked up a photocell to a digital meter.
5. turned light on low beam
6. slid the digital meter up and down the yardstick until I found a repeatable reading, recorded this reading, and recorded the location on the yardstick.
7. switched to high beam slid the meter up and down the yard stick until I got the same meter reading as in step 6, recorded the location on the YARD STICK.
8. made a note of the DELTA (difference between the low beam yardstick reading and the high beam yard stickreading)
9. in my test the DELTA was 16 inches.
10. spaced the bulb back .150 inches, (remove bulb put spacer in where bulb goes, put bulb back in).
11. repeat steps 6,7 and 8 ( use the same digital meter reading)
12. delta was 13.75 inches.
13 spaced bulb bac .200 inches.
14 repeated steps 6,7 and 8.
15 delta was 13.250 inches.
end of test.

These tests indicate that the "DELTA " or "SPREAD" between low and high beams gets smaller as the bulb is spaced back in the the reflector assembly, ploting this out on chart paper indicates that if your low beam was at 20 feet befor it would now be at 40 feet. high would remain the same. Spacing the bulb back further than .200 inches causes problems hooking up the retaing "SPRING" that holds the bulb in the reflector. (you can notch the metal on the bulb and get around this). I need totest this on a flat piece of ground to see the real effect, so remember, this is just a test, and something to think about, looking at the way the BULB works with the internal bulb reflector, I thin Tiltingthe bulb would probably have the same effect, maybe better. Just my two cent guys.

Oldsledder, not bored anymore.

so what is it that your sayin? Was the added set back a good or bad thing? Just wondering, cause the two levels need help.

Re: Headlight--high low problem

Oldsledder said:
Got bored out in the garage the other day, decided to do some testing on the low/high beam problem (when the low is adjusted where I want it the high is too high). Found that spacing the bulb back about .150 inch reduces the "SPREAD" between the high and low about 50 per cent.
Oldsledder, not bored anymore.

Thank you sir! this has been on my 2 do list for 2 winters. Figured it would help.

Use a large washer, I used a 1 1/2" o.d. 1 inch i.d. .075" thick, use two per light. I think these are a standard size, should be able to get in most good hardware stores.

1. remove connection from bulb
2. remove rubber cover
3. unhook the spring holding bulb in.
4. remove bulb
5. install two .075 washers (carefull it is possible to drop washer into reflector during installation of the washer, once the washer is laying flat it can not fall in.)
6. install bulb.
7. reassemble

Honk----The test indicates that spacing the bulb back is a good thing. Makes the high and low beam closer togather.

Engine not running, all numbers well be higher with Engine running.

high beam Battery voltage=12.2 amps=4.7 wattage= 57.34

low beam Battery voltage =12.4 amps= 4.4
wattage= 54.56

I don,t have equipment to measure true brightness/candle power, can only measure relative brightness.

Back