• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse

Amsoil 1

Veteran
:4STroke:

Anybody having problems getting there phazer GT to go in REVERSE, mine works 65% of the time, If I lift the back end up it will click in and then it will work

Nothing really wrong it's just the way things line up. On my Apex 3 out of 10 times I can't just pull the lever and lock it in. Have to give a tap on the throttle and move he sled just a touch and she'll go right in. Just the way the gears mesh togather. As stated if you push the button and it doesn't go just rock back and it seems to go.

Anyone having trouble shifting into reverse should have your dealer check for bulletins from Yamaha. I had my wife's sled in earlier in the season getting the recall and updates done. I had complained about it being hard to get into reverse, and when I picked up the sled I noticed on the paperwork that they had made a repair to the reverse. There were no details as to what the repair was but there was a washer billed as a part on that job line. They must have shimmed something in the reverse mechanism. I can tell you that since that repair was made we have 650 miles and counting and never have had trouble getting it to go into reverse again. Sorry I have no more details than that for you. Give the dealer a call.

Shifting a Yamaha into reverse is unbelievable. I dont have this problem with my rev that has 5000 miles. Its time for yamaha to get with the PROGRAM!

the shim goes in between the secondary sheaves. it reduces belt drag and load in the driveline that can restrict shifting in to reverse

superjet said:
Shifting a Yamaha into reverse is unbelievable. I dont have this problem with my rev that has 5000 miles. Its time for yamaha to get with the PROGRAM!

The Ski-doo & Polaris system stalls the sled a lot of the time if it's not warmed up. Both systems have flaws. But yes Yamaha should refine it a little.

also had a problem with the reverse only working sometimes.Took it to the dealer and some problem there.Yamaha told the dealer to install a 1mm shim between the sheeve.they did not have the part so they didn`t do the repair.
Went home with the machine and put back the 1mm shim I remove to get the belt to ride higher in the secondary.Put everthing back together reverse works fine.

There have been two warranty fixes. One is the wire under the seat gets pinched and the other is adding another shim to the clutch. One of the two will solve the problem or you have more than just reverse.

I took mine to the shop for the reverse issue and break-in oil change - thought it was the wiring shorting out under the seat but the dealer said it he needed to shim the clutch. Why would reverse stop working all together for a week + and then start again. Seems to work now but I have only used it twice. Only this was warranty work and I got billed to shim and aline clutch - BS.

Rik :die

rcolsen said:
I took mine to the shop for the reverse issue and break-in oil change - thought it was the wiring shorting out under the seat but the dealer said it he needed to shim the clutch. Why would reverse stop working all together for a week + and then start again. Seems to work now but I have only used it twice. Only this was warranty work and I got billed to shim and aline clutch - BS.

Rik :die

My reverse gave out altogether for 3 days last winter and then magically came back. It just flashed a code for the 3 days.
I couldn't get into the dealer for a week. Dealer could not find any problems and so far it hasn't happened again. Lucky me! I still have problems with the button and rocking the sled into gear. Hopefully the dealer will fix with the shim when I bring it in for the updates on Monday.

I don't expect to get charged for the shim. I have many other issues for the dealer to straighten out as well.

superjet said:

Are you kidding me, I've seen more Rev's stall durring the "shift" into reverse than I've used my reverse. Not to mention while on a REV, twice while I was crossing a 5 lane road, I apparently bumped the REV. button and sudenly the sled stops and swtiches to rev. rotation. While I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on cars are approaching, Now I'm sure I would eventially not bump it as I would be used to it being there, (I think my leg hit the button) but hey Doo needs to get with the program and make it not activate the R.R. when the sled is in motion. At least copy what Cat did when Cat copied Doos controls, which is recess the button so you can't just bump it.
As stated, it (R.R.) won't work on a 4 stroke, it's not anyware near perfect and the mechanical system is not that difficult to work, if it doesn't engage, normally you can just bounce on the seat and it's in. Besides how often are you guy's or gal's using reverse anyway. I mean I use it to backoff a trailer and maybe once durring the rest of the day that's it. Not saying it shouldn't work but the few times I have to rock back on the seat it's really not a big deal.

If I paid for rev. I expect it to work all the time. What would you say if the rev in your car worked when it wanted? I'm looking for a new dealer and the sad part I worked as a Yamaha dealer so I know how warrenty works. To me the Shimes is about a dishonest dealer. The dealer is responsible for set of and is paid to do the job correctly - if the clutch was tight with 600+ miles imagine what it was like with 0 miles on it and the dealer should have checked before it left the dealer. :die

Back