• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What are the best skis?

ExSkidooMan

850 miles on my fx nytro and im ready to junk the stock Yamaha skis and go aftermarket. I ride all groomed trail, no ditchbanging or boondocking but I do ride very aggressive. Whats the best ski for the job. I had Razors on my old Rev and liked them alot but dont want to buy them if they arent goign to do the job. Any ideas ? thanks.

i have the simmons flex ski with dual keel. i love them. if you want to turn right now these are the skis. i may get a little hard to steer at slower speeds but when going through the woods at higher speeds 35 -40 they steer with little to no effort.

I didn't make it 85 mikes with stockers. I'm running c&a razors they also steer heavy but rail once your moving. I tried powderhounds but didn't like tyhem for the trails. I run simmons on the attak and the are great untill it gets slushy.

I do not know your definition of "all groomed trails", but I can give you some feedback from my type of riding - rough trails with quite soft surfaces.
I have tried CA ADX and CA XT, both of them with StudBoy Shaper Bars 6x60. Both of them offer much better steering response and pure steering traction compared to the OEM ski. Both of them also offer a little bit more steering effort, though not too much in my opinion. The XT offers better off-trail flotation but also tends to be a bit nervous on hard pack trails. Because of this I would say that the CA ADX is a good pick.

Have the razors with 6x60 shaperbars. On trails i love them. Maybee alittle to much on very hard packed, but i think that could be the 60deg shaperbars... Havent tried any different wearbars so thats just a guess. On the racetrack thay are great, but in alot of soft on the track they are not great. Next year I will have a set of Powder Pro skis for those days.

I run Slydog Race skis on my RTX and love them ! They float much better in powder with their increased width, and they're nice and thick for added strength. They're heavier to steer due to the aggressive keel, but with a set of 6" runners, it handles like it's on rails ! I just recently shimmed the rear of the bumpers and straight line handling is still very good with very little to no darting depending on trail conditions.

Thought of slydogs but then bought Razors. First slydogs I ever saw was at the race this saturday. The funny thing was they were like a corkscrew, Not nice. I bet he had hit something because he crashed alittle in one heat but they looked alittle thin. That was probably the trail ski. Anyhow I was satisfied that i went with razors.. HEHE

Kråkan said:
Have the razors with 6x60 shaperbars. On trails i love them. Maybee alittle to much on very hard packed, but i think that could be the 60deg shaperbars... Havent tried any different wearbars so thats just a guess. On the racetrack thay are great, but in alot of soft on the track they are not great. Next year I will have a set of Powder Pro skis for those days.

Visit the next Swedish snocross race and try to get a good deal on a used set of CA XT or SLP PP. I have seen couple of racers taking them off the Ski-Doo XP and Lynx RS. They feel that they are too aggressive and unpredictable on the jump faces (I have not heard this from any of the non-BRP racers).

I'm really liking my Curve XS skis. Less steering effort than the stockers, but they go pretty much where I point them in most conditions......

Trussman said:
I'm really liking my Curve XS skis. Less steering effort than the stockers, but they go pretty much where I point them in most conditions......

Have you had them in any powder or loose conditions? How do they float? Are they 6" wide or more? Thx!

Ran a little over 100 miles this past weekend in loose snow, extreme hard pack, and everything in between. Much of the trail was drifts & moguls 1 - 2' high.....especially in the corners, a lot of traffic & no grooming. We rode hard & rarely did I have a problem cornering. The skis float well in soft snow with the front of the ski always on top of the snow. They did push a little bit in the loose stuff if you just sit back and let things happen. Shift your weight over the inside ski and they turn very nicely.
Dimensions are 7.25" wide front & rear......about 5.25 wide in the middle.

P.S. I have these skis on the Nytro.....Razors on the Viper S.

Trussman said:
Ran a little over 100 miles this past weekend in loose snow, extreme hard pack, and everything in between. Much of the trail was drifts & moguls 1 - 2' high.....especially in the corners, a lot of traffic & no grooming. We rode hard & rarely did I have a problem cornering. The skis float well in soft snow with the front of the ski always on top of the snow. They did push a little bit in the loose stuff if you just sit back and let things happen. Shift your weight over the inside ski and they turn very nicely.
Dimensions are 7.25" wide front & rear......about 5.25 wide in the middle.

P.S. I have these skis on the Nytro.....Razors on the Viper S.

Great info thanks!

I like the stock skis for hard packed trails but they absolutely suck for any off trail riding in powder.

I ran 6" Ultra Flex III's which are basically a copy of an early version of a C&A Pro and noticed they mad the sled stand up in the corners.

I'm now running Sly Dog race skis and they steer pretty light & have good floatation for off trail. They seem more predictable in the corners than the Ultra Flex III's but I need to get more miles on them in different conditions before I can pass final judgement.

Back