• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel tank size

viperino

I dont understand the idea of having such a small tank on this sled. It is probably the one issue that will prevent me from buying an 09. I cant stand to ride with a low fuel warning light on. I refuse to have to buy a 'fuel buddy'. I love what yamaha has done with this sled and feel they are on the right track but this fuel thing is killin' me.

Any current owners have input about they're experience with the fuel range issue?

Remove the filler neck when you fill up. I can get over 100 miles of hard riding. It lets 3-4 liters of extra fuel in the tank.

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 360
if you really like the sled......buy the bigger tank.

bottom line.....if your on it hard or in deep you'll really struggle to see 100 miles. Even its for safety sake, get lost or on the trail real late, just gives me some room for trouble........which seems to always find our group.

I'm getting the trail tank.....in black.

Come on Turk, hows removing the insert gonna get you an extra 3-4 liters of gas in your tank? Its just a flimsy little plastic insert thats barely a 1/8" thick. To be honest, I can never figure out the reason for the insert.

All the RX/RS sleds have this little filler neck thing too, I can get about an extra half gallon in my Warrior by removing the plastic thing to fill, then putting it back in afterward.

While I wouldn't advise leaving the sled like that for storage, it does give you a little extra juice for your ride.

No, it's not a useless post. At least not entirely.

The sleeve extends into the tank to create a space for changes in volume due to changes in temperature and as a compressible cushion. Because liquids are non-compressible they can develop enormous pressures in confined spaces with relatively small changes in temperaturature.

When the fuel level reaches the bottom of the sleeve the rate at which additional fuel can be added slows because the air in the tank cannot be displaced as rapidly as the pump can deliver the fuel. This is intended to increase the hassle factor so that a normal person will stop filling the tank. Not being normal most sledders will stand there and trickle in more fuel drip by drip or pull the sleeve out and fill it to the brim.

So, you see, it’s not the volume of the sleeve that creates the 2 or 3 liter dead space. It’s the air that is trapped in the tank by the sleeve that creates this space.

After removing the filler tube do you lose any fuel out the vent tube after filling?

I have thought about doing that mod, worked great on my past Revs, but when I really fill mine with it stock I get some fuel back out of the vent line.

you will have to run the vent line to a higher location such as under the bar pad. this simple mod works, just dont fill it to the brim and park it, indoors or outside, as the room for fuel expansion is gone.

viperino said:
I dont understand the idea of having such a small tank on this sled. It is probably the one issue that will prevent me from buying an 09. I cant stand to ride with a low fuel warning light on. I refuse to have to buy a 'fuel buddy'. I love what yamaha has done with this sled and feel they are on the right track but this fuel thing is killin' me.

Any current owners have input about they're experience with the fuel range issue?

I'm with you on this one...The only thing holding be back from making the deal is the tank size...Peace of mind and the fact that i'll be the one in our riding group looking for fuel is stopping me.

Thanks for this. I've never considered doing this.

I carry a 5 Liter tank on the running boards. I fill it strapped on the sled with the spout pointing back. I can get over 6 liters in it in that position. That brings me to 34 liters.

If I can squeeze and extra 3 liters in there for a total of 37, that will give me a range of 217 km (135 miles) based on the milage of my last 3 tanks.

If I keep the sled I plan on adding the creative composites tank but I have a trip coming up and gas will be an issue so this is good to know.

Turk, did you reroute your over flow tube? Or do you just do this for on trail fillups where you know you'll be riding right away afterwards.

srx600 said:
viperino said:

I'm with you on this one...The only thing holding be back from making the deal is the tank size...Peace of mind and the fact that i'll be the one in our riding group looking for fuel is stopping me.
I ride in New York and have never had an issue about getting fuel. Most of the time I ride with 2 stroke sleds, and they are thinking about gas more then I am. Trust me, your not gonna get far away from any gas station. If you ride in Canada, then you should be worried. Gas fill up's in New York isn't the problem you might think it is.

Back