• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clear Trail Tank install on standard Nytro, pictures

Glad to see people are working the bugs out of a system that Yamaha should have taken care of at the factory in the first place!
Looks like a good product!

BR

plugs

I have this tank and am disappointed that if one of my plugs just happens to foul that the whole gastank has to be pulled to change one of them out.

I hope I'm not jenxing myself, but in over 20000 miles on 4 strokes I've never needed to change a plug! So, I see no problem there!

BR

Re: heat shield

gaslighter01 said:
Just checked my tank and it start to melt so if you install this set up you need to put some sort of heat barrier.
Melt??? I 'm still waiting for mine to arrive ,I hope there's a cure for this .Can you post some pics?

The stock heat shield material comes off pretty easily if you are patient. I used a putty knife and my hands and worked slowly. I ended up with a couple small tears but those could have been avoided by using more care. The heat shield glue is like that booger type glue they use in promotional mailings. It is tacky, not really sticky and likes to stretch.

I think the reason my seat is not fitting is due to the wiring loom preventing the tank from going all the way forward. I'm going to check it tonght. My dealer has installed a number of these tanks and said the loom and vent line are areas to watch for clearance.

They've been racing with a prototype big tank since late February and installed it using the stock heat shield material. They've not had any melting issues.

you guys do know you can order the new heat shield from yamaha right? why not order it from your local dealer when ordering the tank? they should arrive about the same time.

like ross perot used to say, "problem addressed, problem solved"

like devo said, "when a problem comes along, you must whip it!"

my .02 ski

what happens to the fuel gage with this tank wouldnt it have to be like recalibrated or somthing to be accurate?

LOVE my new trail tank!!! with one exception

only problem with the tank...the name...I am NOT a trail rider :)

Here are some pics of mine, LOVE it!!!! First ride this weekend, did 63 miles of EXTREMELY hardriding in DEEP powder (3 feet) and still had three bars on the fuel gauge when I got back to the truck...

IMG_3179Large.jpg

IMG_3147Medium.jpg

IMG_3145Medium.jpg

IMG_3146Medium.jpg

As to the guy complaining about spark plugs...this sled is not easy to change plugs regardless of the trail tank or not...but I can have this tank off and on the ground in less than 10 minutes, so not a big deal...

I will take 10 minutes once every 10,000 miles and 4 stroke versus 3 minutes every third ride on my 2smoker....

Skidooboy,
The directions that come with the tank make no mention of installing a heat shield. Not sure why they don't? In any case, I've been waiting for this tank to come available all season. I decided I wasn't interested in ordering a new heat shield and waiting another 2-3 weeks for it to come in.

Posted this in SW also, but since some dont cruise there will post this in here as well...

cleartank-1.jpg

as to the heat shield, it is supersimple to get it off the stock tank, and re-use it...

Mtdream,
Thanks for the descriptions on the picture. My fuel and electric lines were okay, but it seemed like the throttle cable was hitting on the tank. I got the seat lined up and bolted on but it took a little persuading.

Longnecker,
You're right about the heat shields not being cheap. I checked the prices on Port Yamaha's microfiche and all four ran over $83 US. Port Yamaha has a discount on their parts.

I'm wondering if the black tanks and clear tanks are a little different? One of the guys I race with told me he had to bend his seat brackets to get it to bolt on. The tank studs would not go all the way to the back on the slots on his tank as well, just like mine. I also noticed my tank vent is touching the steering hoop.

I'm glad my tanks on and the sled is ready to ride. I hope these posts offer some help to the rest of you. ;)!

Back