• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 handwarmer resistance

BLUEBALLER

Expert
did they change the warmers and increase heat output for 09? anyone measure resistance yet.

my 08's measured 7.2 ohms each and are wired in parallel for a total of 3.62 ohms.

just ordered some hotgrips which are 3 ohms each. I'm planning on wiring them in parallel into the stock harnesses.

Only problem is they'll run a little to hot with the toggle on 100%.
Here's the info for anyone else planning to add aftermarket grips.

nytro stock
left - 7.3 ohms
right - 7.2 ohms
parallel - 3.62 ohms
total = 54W @ 14V
27 W ea grip
amps = 3.86

hotgrips - parallel
left - 3.0 ohms
right - 3.0 ohms
parallel - 1.5 ohms
total = 130W @ 14V
65W ea grip
amps = 9.29

nytro w/ 06 apex bars
left - 2.2 ohms
right 2.2 ohms
parallel - 1.1 ohms
total = 178W @14V
89W ea grip
amps = 12.71 YIKES!!!!

Better get an inline power resistor(3 ohm for each grip) or risk burning up that ECU with 12 amps going through it. Or, run your handwarmers with only 2 or 3 bars showing.

2 questions
- did they lower resistance of the handwarmers for 09?
- the guys that ran 06 apex grips last season, how many bars could you run before the rubber started to melt!!

I don't think they changed anything yet. I am thinking about doing the same thing you are doing. When are you going to install the HotGrips? Let us know how it works afterwards. Are you going to leave the stock thumb warmer? The people who designs these sleds must not ride in the cold, because the stock warmers are worthless.

You think that they could fix this problem after this many years of these hand warmers with the lack of heat.....Yamaha get with it

Vector1 said:
I don't think they changed anything yet. I am thinking about doing the same thing you are doing. When are you going to install the HotGrips? Let us know how it works afterwards. Are you going to leave the stock thumb warmer? The people who designs these sleds must not ride in the cold, because the stock warmers are worthless.

Hotgrips got ordered a few days ago, and I'll probably get them installed in a week or two. Thumbwarmer will stay the same.

I ripped off the oem heat elements and was pretty shocked at how flimsy they were. NO insulation between them and the handlebars. The handlebars are basically acting like a HUGE heatsink robbing away any little heat the elements were putting out. Gone are the days of actual heated handgrips. :o|

Attachments

• IMG_2535-1.jpg
    IMG_2535-1.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 371
here is the post about the 06 bars and wiring. i just bought the 06 bars and they work mint. i started my sled with the 08 bars on 10 setting and they were cold. i put the 06 bars on 4 setting and the bars were hot. the link below says the key to hot hands is the wiring harness which is not true for 07 and 08 sleds. the key is the 06 bars.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... rip+warmer

ya, it would be great for yamaha to have a fix but if they are like ski doo was, dont plan on it. maybe they will, i do not want to wait on them for a maybe. my warmers did not work at all, nothing. guesss we can wait and see ;-)

RADNYTROFX said:
here is the post about the 06 bars and wiring. i just bought the 06 bars and they work mint. i started my sled with the 08 bars on 10 setting and they were cold. i put the 06 bars on 4 setting and the bars were hot. the link below says the key to hot hands is the wiring harness which is not true for 07 and 08 sleds. the key is the 06 bars.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... rip+warmer

I figured you couldn't run them past half way. Thanks for confirming. I'm still going to add some power resistors to bring the resistance values more in line with the oem handwarmers. Then I'll be able to run the toggle all the way up to 100% without fear of blowing anything. ie - ECU

still I'm curious if they changed the resistance values on the 09's or not.

I have never rode an 08 but when I test rode the xtx, the person before me had them on as high as they would go and I couldn't even hang on to the bars, they were so hot. I turned them off. It was about 40-45 out that day too.

ya, i think that was the same xtx i rode in old forge when it was 30 outside. keep your fingures crossed that yamaha changes the 09's.

Blueballer, once you get the HotGrips installed, let us know how easy they were to install. How well do they adapt to the curved handlebars?

Back