• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 handwarmer resistance

Back on topic of the capacitor,

It looks to work perfect when you want heat, but what if its 20 degrees and you want it say on the middle? The ECU will pulse the voltage to give half the voltage but with the cap in there it will just keep giving full voltage to the warmers forcing you to turn them off, then when your hands are cold, turn them back on? So in effect the cap will make it a full on or full off mod correct? I'm probably missing something :)

Heres some info from the 2009 service manual. Hope this helps someone. I'll try and fin the other threads and also post this info.

elec-2.jpg

elec-1.jpg

I think that yamaha should supply everyone with 2010 handlebars!! or at least have some sort of exchange. Apparently they have improved the hand warmers on them,.

Wow. A blast from the past. Wasn't this a fun thread. We should have more like this. I miss the good 'ol days and the simpler times.

How are the 2010's?

Any better?

It'll take more than hot handwarmers to get me back on team baby blue, but at least they're making an effort to improve an obvious design flaw.
Even if it took them numerous attempts & 4+ years...............they are listening & doing something!!

BLUEBALLER said:
did they change the warmers and increase heat output for 09? anyone measure resistance yet.

my 08's measured 7.2 ohms each and are wired in parallel for a total of 3.62 ohms.

just ordered some hotgrips which are 3 ohms each. I'm planning on wiring them in parallel into the stock harnesses.

Only problem is they'll run a little to hot with the toggle on 100%.
Here's the info for anyone else planning to add aftermarket grips.

nytro stock
left - 7.3 ohms
right - 7.2 ohms
parallel - 3.62 ohms
total = 54W @ 14V
27 W ea grip
amps = 3.86

hotgrips - parallel
left - 3.0 ohms
right - 3.0 ohms
parallel - 1.5 ohms
total = 130W @ 14V
65W ea grip
amps = 9.29

nytro w/ 06 apex bars
left - 2.2 ohms
right 2.2 ohms
parallel - 1.1 ohms
total = 178W @14V
89W ea grip
amps = 12.71 YIKES!!!!

Better get an inline power resistor(3 ohm for each grip) or risk burning up that ECU with 12 amps going through it. Or, run your handwarmers with only 2 or 3 bars showing.

2 questions
- did they lower resistance of the handwarmers for 09?
- the guys that ran 06 apex grips last season, how many bars could you run before the rubber started to melt!!

My stock grips from 06 Attak measured 2.5 ohms when I took them off??

I did the RSI and put red/blue together.

Well no luck for me of course. They heat about the same as my stock grips.

Last nite at 20 with lots of wind they were barely adequate. On full high I could barely feel any heat. Both of the RX 1's that were with me had they'rs on 1 and were hot.

All my connections are soldered. This is so friggin agrivating.

Yeah, I've heard the 4500 rpm info as well. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

The 4 ohm resistor will bring it extremely close to factory specs.

nytro stock
left heating element- 7.3 ohms
right heating element- 7.2 ohms
parallel - 3.62 ohms
total power = 54W @ 14V
27 W ea grip
amps = 3.86

hotgrips wired in parallel w/ 4 ohm resistor
total = 3.5 ohms
56 watts total @ 14V
28 watts each grip
amps = 4
5 or 7.5 amp fuse needed for each hotgrip to protect ECU just in case!
I have an 08 nytro and I get like barely any heat - like barely anything. I measured the volts at high and when engine revved it was hitting 12 volts plus. I checked the ohms on both and they were both at 8.1. Is that my problem? There has to be a solution out there besides getting a 200 usd yamaheater??

rock’s hot hands kit will get them cooking on the bars.

I answered in your other thread.

Back