• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Location?

mdkuni

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Can anyone tell me where to locate this sensor? I can not find it anywhere. The service manual only shows the attached picture. I am getting an error code 12 but can not locate this sensor to check it.

Attachments

• Crankshaft.JPG
    Crankshaft.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,698

It is under a cover on the right hand side of the engine. Just behind the oil tank, there is a large round cover which houses the stator. The sensor is mounted on the inside of that cover. You will have to remove the oil tank to tak off the cover.

RX1Jim said:
It is under a cover on the right hand side of the engine. Just behind the oil tank, there is a large round cover which houses the stator. The sensor is mounted on the inside of that cover. You will have to remove the oil tank to tak off the cover.

Behind the large black cover is a large nut. Do I need to remove that nut to pull the sensor out or will that whole cover need to be removed by removing all the allen head bolts?

sensor

i,m getting the same code. before i would take it apart you should check the resistence with a meter. take apart the coupler at the front of the sled (black,grey wire) positve probe on grey should be between 445-545 at 68 degrees. i,ve checked mine and it is allright.i,ve been all through the harness and i can,t see anything. my trouble is the sled is in my garage up north so it is tough to get to the dealer. if you find something out please post it. thanks!

Re: sensor

fxr said:
i,m getting the same code. before i would take it apart you should check the resistence with a meter. take apart the coupler at the front of the sled (black,grey wire) positve probe on grey should be between 445-545 at 68 degrees. i,ve checked mine and it is allright.i,ve been all through the harness and i can,t see anything. my trouble is the sled is in my garage up north so it is tough to get to the dealer. if you find something out please post it. thanks!

Sled is at the dealer now. I will report findings if they figure it out.

Im wondering if anyone has any info on how to take the oil tank of and is it hard to get the cover of to change the crank position sensor?? Some help would be great thanks!

just remove the tank remove all the cover bolts noting the location of the long and short ones and carefully pull straight out on the cover. watch the gasket and the starter gear might come off. also will be magnetic pull on it so watch your fingers when reinstalling. dont ask me how i know this!!

ok on the oil tank is it hard to remove? I looked at it quick today there is a big braided line underneath do i have to take it off? Will all teh oil drain out?? Thanks fo your help!!

yep! drain the oil romove the line off the bottom and plug it with a plastic plug or something.if you recently changed the oil i would just capture in a clean container and reuse. you need to get the tank uot of the way and pull the cover straight off. much easier.

You can not buy just the sensor on the Apex. Yamaha makes you purchase the entire stator assembly. Dealer just replaced the assembly and she is up and running again.

great news thanks im just goin to take it in to the dealer and leave it untill its done thanks a new stator is 330 is teh crank position sensor the same as the pick up coil?

Back