• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Make an XTX Rail.

rhoag

Expert
I have heard a few guys state that their XTX rails. I would like to know how you are making this thing rail? I have the stock ski's with shapers, shortened the limiter strap one hole, reduced weight transfer to close to minimum, front preload is set at stock standard length. This helped but the sled still feels tippy and it's like the bumps control which way the ski's are pointed not me. So how do you get this thing to feel more planted and stable? Can the front shock preload be reduced past what the book says is minimum, can weight transfer be set right up to the red, what would you recommend for the center shock preload? I do have the 10 gal tank so maybe when it's full there is more weight higher on the sled? Handling is more important to me than ride.
Thanks in advanced.

I reduced the ride height on the front shocks by 0.5" from stock. There is 2.25" of thread left. YOu can not lower it any more unless you have dual rate springs because the springs will bounce around. I also reduced the ride height on the center shock by 0.25"s. The sled is way more planted now around corners. Still pushes a bit but that is cause of the skis.

rhoag I feel the same way but i think its jsut somethign that take ssome getting used to im havin a hard time pusshin her hard on groomed trails because i feel TIPPY i def understand what your sayin but i think that the nature of this beast if you look at how high you are it makes sense i also have to agree with most this sled wants to be ridden by a rider thats standing up. HELP what makes her corner better on the groomed trail.

handling

I am going to try the Hygear triple rate springs to get the ride ride height down without losing bottoming out resistance. I had my stock springs preloaded more than stock because I was bottoming out, I found that when I backed off all the clicker's compression on the fronts shocks the handling improved.

I also noticed that when entering a turn I would stay easy on the throttle once the outside ski was set, I could feel the shock compress and I could then pour on the power and carve the turn. I think the sled handles ok, but takes a little more finesse to get it to rail. I am hoping that it improves with the new springs.

I also took one increment off the weight transfer and felt the ride suffered and I didn't think it hooked up as well so I put it back to the stock setting. I also noticed that if you mash the throttle at the apex of the turn and lean in hard that the sled will carve out the turn on the track with the skis off the ground. This sled is a interactive sled and takes more rider input to make it work well. One of those inputs is the gas. I think it is important to not chop the throttle into the turn but stay light early in the turn and add power smoothly.

Look at this picture of my friends XP next to my XTX. Notice how much more set in he has. I think this is one of the reasons the XP handles better.

Attachments

• jan17.jpg
    jan17.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 139
I don't know about "on rails", but I do think mine rides pretty good. That being said, I need to emphasize the word "ride". I do work on this (XTX) sled. When really riding it I'm usually hanging on the inside in turns and my helmet is probably about where the inside handlebar is, I also find myself really crowding the tank and trying to get forward as much as I can until through the corner. All the while in the corner I am constantly feathering the throttle until pointed straight enough to pin it or until it will slide straight enough to pin it (and it does usually walk to the outside a little). This works for me and I enjoy it, keeps me warm too. To add, I wouldn't say that I ever get fatigued, but It does get yer heart pumping. I have the dual carbides and studs, everything else is stock. I have been dialing the suspension for about 3 weeks now. I usually make a few minor adjustments and then ride for a few days, then make a few more. NOt quite there yet, but almost, and to be honest, I'm not that far off stock, it's been mostly compression adjustments (softer). I weigh about 230 with gear. FWIW.

Scott

Ski stance (or lack of) is something that seems to be rarely mentioned. Doo, Polaris and Cat all have wider ski stances on their performance machines right? Nytro is what...41"? Doo is 46" or something like that. Wider for sure. I've always wondered why Yamaha keeps the skis so close compared to the comp. Wouldn't increasing the stance improve handling and cure alot of the ills many Apex, Vector, Nytro owners are complaining about?

Get the HYGEAR Trail Sport Kit and a set of Curve Skis.....it'll rail then.

Re: handling

I usually use the engine braking to plant the ski's when entering a corner then feather (steady throttle) throught the corner and then on the throttle once pointed in the right direction. I have been riding yami 4 strokes since 05 and have what I think is a good feel for cornering these things. But, my 05 RX1, 06 apex GT, 06 Attack and 07 Attack handle so much differently the the XTX. I will try lowering the front end just a bit and reduce the compression dampening in front.

LeeKo said:
I am going to try the Hygear triple rate springs to get the ride ride height down without losing bottoming out resistance. I had my stock springs preloaded more than stock because I was bottoming out, I found that when I backed off all the clicker's compression on the fronts shocks the handling improved.

I also noticed that when entering a turn I would stay easy on the throttle once the outside ski was set, I could feel the shock compress and I could then pour on the power and carve the turn. I think the sled handles ok, but takes a little more finesse to get it to rail. I am hoping that it improves with the new springs.

I also took one increment off the weight transfer and felt the ride suffered and I didn't think it hooked up as well so I put it back to the stock setting. I also noticed that if you mash the throttle at the apex of the turn and lean in hard that the sled will carve out the turn on the track with the skis off the ground. This sled is a interactive sled and takes more rider input to make it work well. One of those inputs is the gas. I think it is important to not chop the throttle into the turn but stay light early in the turn and add power smoothly.

Look at this picture of my friends XP next to my XTX. Notice how much more set in he has. I think this is one of the reasons the XP handles better.

While all of these are good tips I find that the snow conditions play the biggest part in taking the tippy feel away. When the snow was like mashed potatoes and the skis had a slight push (curvesXS) the sled cornered faster than ever with little if any ski lift. The next morning after the groomer came through and the temps fell drastically I could not keep the ski on the ground and could barely even turn the sled without a workout. That day I just went slower through the corners but the sled hooked up awesome on the hard pack. Trust me when I say I hang off the sled. Just saying there is no magic answer for changing weather and trail conditions. I may try the Highgear set up next year. I guess tailor it more towards your riding styles, trail rider etc. The XTX is a crossover sled and remember it does a lot of things well but not one thing great. If you have that mindset you will find it more enjoyable. How does that XP go off trail? Just saying.

Another thing to try is to add handlebar riser block and move further back on the seat and using less aggressive carbides. This will take some edge off of the sled making it turn flatter

All I can say is that I am new to this sport and my first sled was a 2002 arctic cat ZL 600. and I still have it.It has good carbides 96 studs fox shocks up front and ACT out back.always rode dirt bikes and raced open class on the banshees . I ride up in Maine with mad dogs, that have Skidoos I could keep up with them any where on the trail except the straight a ways .they have 800 revs.
so I watch the sledhead videos on the net read all the reviews . go and buy a 2009 Nytro XTX and I am having all the problems the guys on this post are having.taking a corner on the cat is like second nature take the corner on the XTX not just right and you think your going to flip over then you let off the throttle and your buddies just keep getting further and further away. Sorry for the long post, but they did say the handling was better than a 121'' :o|

I have a rox riser and shapers on sly dogs, works great on my fx nytro rtx, oh plus remote resis

i cant drive my xtx as hard as i can go with my apex ,of course my apex has 10000 miles with me as the pilot so we are a good team ,this nytro is a hard one to get used to ,so much different than anything ive ever ridden,most comfortable riding position ever though,i will get it to handle or i will get myself used to handling it ,whatever it takes but it is very different,i went from my stock skis that pushed like crazy in the corners to my mountain skis to see if it will carve better,the stock skis only have a 21mm high keel where the mountains have a 31mm keel,hoping this will be the final touch,i think the wider ski stance will help too but wanted to try stock stance with different skis first,i will post when i ride next

rhoag said:
I have a bar riser already and the shapers are supposed to be great for turning???
I think thats Leeko's point, a ski and carbide combo that turn too good causes inside ski lift(tippyness)
A good balance of ski bite and ski push will help keep the sled flatter and help build driver confidence.
And like others have said, snow conditions will have a big affect.Loose snow, icy corners and frozen groomed trails will all affect the sled differently. You may have to make ajustments through out the day as temps or weather change the conditions your in.

Back