• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo Apex Build

Boyko

Pro
I had a lot of parts sitting around from other turbo projects and the labour cost on this will be zilch I built a few turbo kits in the past.

It started out at a shaker of a Ukraine wedding were a cousin told me of a dinged up Yamaha . It turned out to be a 07 Attack that should have been wrote off.

pict2124xi7.jpg

pict2125yd0.jpg

pict2126ns3.jpg

pict2129fe8.jpg

pict2133jh2.jpg

The turbo I had from a 2-Smoker build a few years back it ia a garrett 2871 with a .68 ex housing and the bigger compressor for the 2871. I know the thing is going to be a lag master bet the turbo was just collecting dust

So I got a mounting plate fabbed up and a charge tube that is going to rub against my track, I will have to fix that. I also rigged up a degree wheel so I can time the cams after I plop in a head shim that will bring the compression down from 11.5 to 9.4

I rigged up a degree wheel to change the cam timing, I like the ugly a$$ welds on it

pict2136vw1.jpg

pict2137jt2.jpg

pict2141mk1.jpg

pict2158qt4.jpg

I added a head shim and it set the cams @ 114 degrees centers.
Dave from Powderlites has been a great help the past few years and sold me a intercooler core.

[size=15pt]Here is the head shim

pict2161ul3.jpg

The rig for the cam timing

pict2156me7.jpg

pict2157kt6.jpg

And getting a start on the intercooler

pict2159cs7.jpg

pict2165py0.jpg

So with my special welding skills I managed to turn this thin into a hunk of $hit in 3 min.. lol It wasted 2 day to get it right

pict2213xa9.jpg

So I blew off most of a week end try to weld and make things work.

Cory Bell (author of Maximum Boost once wrote)

There is nothing wrong with copping just copy the best.

The intercooler is a rip off of a powderlites old style one, there has been a few important improvements since. I did not have the proper material at the time so this is what I ended up with

pict2209hx5.jpg

pict2210hf1.jpg

pict2214ib2.jpg

pict2215ov7.jpg

pict2216vl5.jpg

pict2215ov7.jpg

pict2217md0.jpg

pict2224pz8.jpg

pict2239jl4.jpg

pict2231no2.jpg

At this point I made the bad choice of building a rude obnoxious muffler.I do not like it and it adds to a growing list of mistakes I have made (the list is frickin huge man). It is what it is. Sooner or later someone is goint to throught a snow ball at it and take out my O2 sensor LOL (it not in the pic but is a problem
)

pict2245bu7.jpg

pict2246ji9.jpg

pict2247ax8.jpg

pict2249hx0.jpg

pict2252vw7.jpg

pict2252vw7.jpg

Nytro2500.jpg

I tossed a longer track under this thing, went from a 121 with a 1 1/4 lug to a 153, 2 1/4. Thanks NM for the deal on the skid and track

I added a hunk of tunnel from a Polaris I had laying around I liked cutting up the tunnel

resizedpict2317uq9.jpg

I made up a extra heat exchanger out of some left over parts and looped it into the turbos water jacket.................. my welding still sucks #*$&@, I do not spend enough time fitting and prepping.

resizedpict2316ug9.jpg

I made some tunnel braces out of 1/4 al plate, it took a long time to mill them out and it really sucked sitting in front of a mill for 9 hours with a sunday hangover

resizedpict2314qz1.jpg

resizedpict2318wd2.jpg

Here is the piggy back controller for the efi it has good size 3d tables in it and will add or subtract fuel and timing with boost reference. It can switch maps on the fly and can stutter the engine for a hotshot which is good because the turbo is a long ways from the pistons on this thing.

resizedpict2313op1.jpg

resizedpict2315dn3.jpg

This is where things start sucking really hard. I was tuning this on a track stand The program I made up for the RB3 was working great, the it started running like crap.

This forum has been more than excellent helping me with troubles. The dudes on the turbo section figure the valve lash was to loose and dropped a valve. When I did the cam timing I checked a few of them and assumed that they were all good. Dave at Hurricane preformance has parts on the way, looking like a 140.00 to fix it, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

resizedpict2325rb7.jpg

resizedpict2323jq9.jpg

resizedpict2332bz2.jpg

resizedpict2334oi6.jpg

It's way cool see guys build their own stuff :)

Sorry about the valve.

The valve is a 40.00 part, man it could have been bad, I had to force myself to get working on it after I found a dead clyinder I was thinking the motor was ficked.
It was making a squiking grinding noise out the turbo. I thought a hunk of piston was back there tring to get out.

If I would have had 2 fricked valves I would have made the wife a set of earings.

Wow man that is really sweet that you made your own intercooler!!!! What other stuff do you make? Looks like you have the mind to do it. How long have you been working on this sled for?

Jake

nytroERrider said:
Wow man that is really sweet that you made your own intercooler!!!! What other stuff do you make? Looks like you have the mind to do it. How long have you been working on this sled for?

Jake

Hey Jake

I been working on this for about 3 months in my spare time, it is taking to long to get done. I toss together around 2 of 3 turbo kit a year just one off stuff. I put a turbo on a quad before this one and I started on a kit for a M-1000 a few weeks ago.

It keep me out of trouble.

Nice job on all accounts however I REALLY like that milled piece that goes on the side of the tunnel, be sweet to PC the tunnel black then put that on as a shiny cover piece. I know it took you 9 hrs at the mill but it looks fantastic!

Back