• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Extension on VL - Updated; Wrap & Shield Pics

BombaPolaYama

TY 4 Stroke Master
Edit: See pg 4 for same day pics of tunnel icing - another VL vs mine.

This is my first try at doing a mod to try and rectify the tunnel icing build-up on the VL. I have extended the exhaust outlet from the muffler to exit through the rear.
- Four different parts were used to do the job.
(1) Flexible tail pipe repair pipe was used so that I could easily centre the pipe because the outlet from the muffler is off centre and to bend pipe to fit would be difficult. Hopefully this flexible metal pipe will withstand this application (if not, it's back to the drawing board).
(2) Stainless steel adapter used to attach the flexible pipe to the SS tip. The tip has three set screws for that purpose.
(3) SS automotive tip was added at the end to make for a custom look.
(4) Template was made of the profile of the rear and a SS plate was cut to that shape and the tip was welded to it (done by local welding shop). I realize this SS plate was not really necessary and adds weight but I liked the look better than the original black. (Another option here would be to weld a ring to the tip large enough for holes to attach the tip).

At this point I am unsure about adding a plate to block off the muffler/exhaust and/or to wrap the exhaust - I may test this mod first. I think even this much has to be an improvement, i.e. less heat in the tunnel = less ice. At a minimum I may have to add a plate to protect the flexible pipe. Here are the pics with explanations; any thoughts and suggestions are welcome:

Attachments

• VL - exhaust extension 022(rsz).jpg
    VL - exhaust extension 022(rsz).jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 699
  • VL - exhaust extension 021(rsz).jpg
    VL - exhaust extension 021(rsz).jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 654
  • VL - exhaust extension 020(rsz).jpg
    VL - exhaust extension 020(rsz).jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 651
  • VL - exhaust extension 013(rsz).jpg
    VL - exhaust extension 013(rsz).jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 623
  • VL - exhaust extension 016(rsz).jpg
    VL - exhaust extension 016(rsz).jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 653
  • VL - exhaust extension 011(rsz).jpg
    VL - exhaust extension 011(rsz).jpg
    162 KB · Views: 655
  • VL - exhaust extension 010(rsz).jpg
    VL - exhaust extension 010(rsz).jpg
    123 KB · Views: 636
  • VL - exhaust extension 008(rsz).jpg
    VL - exhaust extension 008(rsz).jpg
    153 KB · Views: 674
  • VL - exhaust extension 003(rsz).jpg
    VL - exhaust extension 003(rsz).jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 637
  • VL - exhaust extension 001(rsz).jpg
    VL - exhaust extension 001(rsz).jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 623

does the stock exhaust just dump in the tunnel then? guess i have not looked at one prior to this - maybe some heat tape around the flex pipe and you'll be golden.

woolyviper said:
does the stock exhaust just dump in the tunnel then? guess i have not looked at one prior to this - maybe some heat tape around the flex pipe and you'll be golden.

Yeah it does, the pipe exiting the muffler is only about 3 inches. Thanks, that's an idea I could try.

Sweet looking outlet Bomba, I like the stainless touch. I will be looking forward to hearing how the mod works out. As you know I left the plastic in place and just releaved it for the pipe.

karl said:
Sweet looking outlet Bomba, I like the stainless touch. I will be looking forward to hearing how the mod works out. As you know I left the plastic in place and just releaved it for the pipe.

Thanks - yeah it looks cool with the exhaust shootin fumes out there I must say. All I need now is somw snow ans cold weather to test it - so far the season has been a write off in my area.

Nice work Bomba. Glad to see you got in there and wrestled with it. I can't imagine cutting that muffler end with a hacksaw blade. Took some doing. Reminds me of the saying: If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right. ;)!

Usually, NF gets so much snow I have snow envy. We're not too far in our area of the country neither. The little bit of snow we do have is melting away right now.

I haven't considered using that type of flexible tubing thinking it was just for a cheap temporary fix on cars. Is it truly stainless? I had thought about another type of flex connector but this works too. That exhaust tip does look good. Does it make it louder?

Too bad about your lack of snow as I would be interested in your icing results. Some of the other models have rear exiting exhausts and are getting icing just from the exposed muffler. Some close off the area but get heat issues.

Praying to the snow gods for us all :letsnow:

Bugbear said:
Nice work Bomba. Glad to see you got in there and wrestled with it. I can't imagine cutting that muffler end with a hacksaw blade. Took some doing. Reminds me of the saying: If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right. ;)!

Thanks - that's a good saying (never heard it before) - it's all in the head eh. Actually there is a small handle on the blade so not quite so bad as it looks (ahah)

Mooseman said:
Usually, NF gets so much snow I have snow envy. We're not too far in our area of the country neither. The little bit of snow we do have is melting away right now.

I haven't considered using that type of flexible tubing thinking it was just for a cheap temporary fix on cars. Is it truly stainless? I had thought about another type of flex connector but this works too. That exhaust tip does look good. Does it make it louder?

Too bad about your lack of snow as I would be interested in your icing results. Some of the other models have rear exiting exhausts and are getting icing just from the exposed muffler. Some close off the area but get heat issues.

Praying to the snow gods for us all :letsnow:

I'm not sure about the mat'l of the flex pipe - if I had to guess I would say it is aluminum (may be a concern for the heat I wonder) but the package did not say. Yeah, you're right it is for repairs so I might have to go with something better in the future.

It is difficult to say about the sound as I only ran it in the garage - hopefully not louder than before - it think a little quieter maybe.

Mooseman said:

:letsnow:
As for the mat'l of the flex pipe, all I know is that it is magnetic, so it's not aluminum. Maybe mild steel - seems too soft and cheap for stainless - the 18" length was only $13 something.

I guess that will be good to use as a cheap experiment. If the tunnel icing decreases, then you can invest more on something stainless like the attached pic with stainless tubing.

Any luck with snow in your neck of the woods? We had a big melt with lots of rain so the little snow we had is almost all gone :"(

Attachments

• Stailess coupler.jpg
    Stailess coupler.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 656
Just a heads up to anyone who is comtemplating using a flex joint like Mooseman's photo above. The flex is very very limited in it. Since Bomba routed his tubing out the center instead of straight back he won't be able to make the required S bend with it alone when and if he reconfigures his exhaust with one. Here in Anchorage they are about $80 USD.

Back