• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Silver Lake, Mi. campout July 8,9,10,11 2010 finalized plans

sleddheadd

TY 4 Stroke God
Some of us have had an idea about having a get together at Silver Lake, Mi. this coming summer. This might be a great place as it is pretty central for several members. could even be accessible from wisconsin with the use of the Ferry to Luddington, Mi.
What do you guys think? Is it do-able? there are some hotel/motels, would we be interested in camping? Lots of quiet rules in the campgrounds! Hotels/motels seem a bit pricey but it is summer time in Silver Lake. We could stay out side of the lake area at a comfort inn, it is about 10 minutes away.
What do you guys think? All ideas/suggestions are welcome!

Sno-Xr said:
Im in for camping as well. Been camping ther 2-3 times a year for the last 4 years. Most campgrounds do have quiet time,but as long as your respectfull they dont bother you much. We've stayed up till 1-130 without getting shut down.

Our dune ride is in my signature below
Which campground do you guys usually stay at? Sandy shores or silver lake resort? Camping sounds great to us! It is good to hear that we can stay up later if we keep it cool!
How about during the day? are there limits on beverages when your on the dunes? in other words can we bring a cooler full of beer in there with us?
from what I have seen it looks like silver lake has some nice boating potebtial also!?

No alcohol in the dunes! I believe people take some in anyways, but there are quite a few DNR running around.
We usualy stay at Silverlake Resort and Campground or Sandy Shores, both real nice clean places.
Weve also stayed at Silver Hills and Yogi bear.

Silver Lake is a beatifull boating lake, all sand. But you dont have direct access to the ORV section of the dunes from the lake. Well, you do if you want to walk 3/4 of a mile up and down sand hills, :o| lol! However, the Dunes are right on Lake Michigan, so if its nice out, you could boat,or jetski over to the dunes beach.
Sandy shores has its own private beach area on the lake, which is nice if you have a boat.

Hears a few pics.

Attachments

• 2009-37.jpg
    2009-37.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 2009-banner-12.jpg
    2009-banner-12.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 2009-banner-14.jpg
    2009-banner-14.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 04122008-2.jpg
    04122008-2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 175
  • sl6.jpg
    sl6.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 169
Heres a cool map of the dunes ORV area. The blue and red areas are all ORV accessible. The Yellow area(including under the parking lot "blow-up" is pedestrian traffic only.

Attachments

• DUNEMAP_DONE.jpg
    DUNEMAP_DONE.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 183
pro116 said:
Is here a place you can rent dirt bikes near?
There are Quad,jeep, and sandrail rentals. Nothing to fancy, but will get you around.
You can get around the dunes in your "Daily Driver" 4wd vehical, no problem. But you may not be able to climb all the hills.Thats when you jump in your buddy's truck and let him tear up his stuff trying!! lol
My Geo Tracker does pretty well out there, but struggles on the big,steep hills because the little 4 banger squirell gets tired before I get to the top.
But I can make it up most of the hills.

The trick is tire pressure. I run mine at 8-10 lbs, but a bigger street truck you will drop down to 14-18 lbs. You learn not to take corners real fast with the tire pressure being that low. There is a tire air station when you exit the dunes, but I leave mine low all weekend and just drive easy back and forth from the campground.

pro116 said:
Is here a place you can rent dirt bikes near?

I don't know about dirt bikes but you can rent four-wheelers and I think sand rails.
If people are renting you might what to call a head to make sure you get something. I can try to find a phone number for everyone.

Do you need insurance on your ATV in Michigan?
How diligent are they on the spark arrestor/noise testing? I have the stock muffler from the 250R some where but it's a damn door stop.

Not that I'm going but just in case. Most of you guys tenting it? Much for the Old lady/critter to do there?

I am in 100% Can't wait to bring out the blaster... SHE IS MEANNNNN!!!! You guys will love it! :Rockon:

I will camp or stay in a hotel (comfort inn) ten minutes is not a problem for me!

:jump:

*Lindsay*[/list]

We are down camping it is for us. let me know the date so i can mark it down.

Can we just get a block of camp sites so we are all close. I guess this is why we are finding out who is going lol

LindsaysCanonCamera013.jpg

Back