• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Installed oilite kit/bushings really tight after install

Maxout01

VIP Member
Ok, finally got the sled back together. I decided on ulmers oilite bushing kit for my apex, install was pretty easy.
The bolts thru the bulkhead bushings seem perfect, and without the a-arms on there i can easily move the bolt in and out of them, but the bushings in the a-arms themselves are very tight so it took some work to get back into place, lol!
I sanded/cleaned all bolts, and used lube on the busings and the bolts before install.

Just wanted some feedback on whether this is normal after first install of these type of bushings?

Which front bolts are you speaking about?

Yes everything will be tight, they are all brand new and we run our tolerances extremely tight to eliminate all slop.

Did you try a little bit of oil or grease on things when you installed them? If you didn't they will be tight until "cycled" several times when the oilite begins to release some oil onto the items and they will loosen up.

Make sure you have all the washers, etc in the correct spots as well. They will be tight after installed!

Allen, you mentioned washers, where do they go on the 06s? I too seem to be having the same issue. I know there are washers, one on each bulkhead bolt, on engine side of the bulkhead. Are there any out on the spindles?

Srxspec said:
Which front bolts are you speaking about?

Yes everything will be tight, they are all brand new and we run our tolerances extremely tight to eliminate all slop.

Did you try a little bit of oil or grease on things when you installed them? If you didn't they will be tight until "cycled" several times when the oilite begins to release some oil onto the items and they will loosen up.

Make sure you have all the washers, etc in the correct spots as well. They will be tight after installed!

Thanks for the quick post back! Yep i got everything in the right spot, went thru it all with the factory parts fiche and took pics before i did it also and doubled checked those. I used lube on all bushings, and light sanded/cleaned all the factory bolts and added lube to them before install.

All the slop is out of the front end now thats for sure!

Hey Max, any way you can help me with the washer question? Parts fiche, for 06 anyways, seems to be missing some things.

You will be fine when everything gets a little wear in on it. They are setup very tight on the tolerances especially when installing the rear bushing "backwards" (flange on a-arm side instead of engine side).

Srxspec said:
You will be fine when everything gets a little wear in on it. They are setup very tight on the tolerances especially when installing the rear bushing "backwards" (flange on a-arm side instead of engine side).

Ok, thank you for help!

My 06 was pretty tight too....not as tight as yours but it really stiffened up the front suspension. Although I did not have to pound anything in.

Budweiser said:
My 06 was pretty tight too....not as tight as yours but it really stiffened up the front suspension. Although I did not have to pound anything in.

The bushings went into everything very easily, but i had to whack the bulkhead bulks in, but the tolerances are pretty tight as stated by srxspec so im actually pretty happy with the outcome!

No, nothing is bent at all. Also came apart stock very easily. Nothing is bent, nothing is broken, all in excellent shape. The inner diameter of the a-arm bushings was too small for the bolts. I sanded and cleaned the stock bolts and lubed them before putting together. The bolts fit into the bulkhead perfect with no a-arm, i tried to put the bolts into the a-arms off the sled, and didnt fit into the bushings so i cleaned the bolts, sanded and lubed them, and then the fun began.

As ulmer stated in posts above they have very tight tolerances so they have more room to wear in. Whether or not maybe i just got unlucky or whatever i dunno, but i hope in time they will wear good and if it has to be taken apart it can be.

2008FxNytro said:
only other thing i can think of is if you have access to a reamer, i would get something a little bigger than the bolt and possibly ream out the bushings.

too late as like i said they are in and in tight! lol!

I have good faith in ulmers products, and believe him when he states they will wear in fine. Hopefully thats the case!

Back