• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bulkhead replacement

zoomer

Extreme
How big of a job is it to replace the front left(sitting on sled) bulkhead. This is the piece the front suspension mounts to. Do you have to remove the motor to get at all the rivets? Thanks.

No you don't have to remove the motor. you do have to remove the entire front bulkhead all at once though. Remove all the plastic and bumper, remove all the "A" arms and sway bar, remove the bolts that hold the delta box frame to the frame up by the handle bars so it can lift up as you pull the front bulkhead out, remove the motor mount bolts at the front where they bolt to the delta box, remove the air box, battery and battery box and the electrics that bolt to the bottom of the battery box. Then with some prying and wiggling from side to side the front bulkhead comes out. Big job, pain in the a$$. Going back in is harder, you have to screw in the motor mounts so it will go back in, push, wiggle and pry to get it in place but, it will go. The I built a tool to screw the motor mount adjusters back in and align the motor out of an old socket that just fits in the hole. Take your time, watch where evrything came from and you can do it. Does take several hours though.

So your saying I have to remove all of Number 1 in this pic?

frameg.jpg

Yup, been there done that, replaced the right hand side on mine last april. It's not too bad though. Kinda like peeling an onion, just keep taking stuff apart and you'll get it, just don't forget how it came apart, so you can get it back together right. I can even give you a tip on the rivets to use so it'll look like factory. Go to fastenal or some place like that and get "multi-grip" style rivets, they are the ones that most resemble the rivets Yamaha uses instead of traditional "pop" rivets.

Corey

Yes, all of #1. I would use Yamaha rivets as they are slightly larger in diameter than the ones you buy at the Hardware store.

I wouldn't think you'd have to remove all of #1, just #2. #1 would be seperating the whole front end from the tunnel. I only broke the ear where the A-arm mounts on #2. Anyways I'm not replacing it, just going to get it welded. Easier, cheaper, and stronger.

Broke my right bulkhead today :o| What luck im having this winter #$%&* Hates to start the teardown but by the sounds of it i dont have to remove the motor so thats good, still gonna be a PITA tho. I've done nothing but pick at my sleds this winter i have a attak out in the shed with the motor blown i guess ill rob the bulkhead off that #$%&*

Probably a little longer seeing I have 2sleds to tear down. I was just talking to my dealer they have a sled up there scrapped but they already used the right buldhead on someones sled last winter.

Tore both sleds down today the attak was a piece of cake the apex was a little longer since i had to remove most of the SC kit. The bulk head is back in place, now i just have to wait till tomorrow for my bushings to finish it off. Im also adding the wider a-arms and shocks off the attak to the apex along with the 23 39 gears should make the sled a lot more trail friendly.

Back