• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'06 Apex sometimes idles low...almost sputtering...

ZR800EFI

Expert
9500 miles.

Started doing it last year towards the end of the season. Seems intermittent, but probably does it at least half the time. After letting warm up then hitting the throttle, it may then idle down to around 1100RPM. After sitting for a bit, it may idle back up to normal. Or it happens on the trail after running for a bit and coming to a stop. Just seems random. Coming to a stop last year after riding, it stalled twice once this problem started happening.

No engine or airbox mods.
CR10EK plugs for a 2-3 years now.
No error codes being displayed.
Pulled the belt off to see if it's maybe tight or something and drawing load on the engine a bit...no difference.

Seems to me like it may be fuel related or something, but not sure what to look for.

Any ideas would be great before I take it to the dealer...thanks!

Do you ever run any fuel cleaner in there? Maybe a can of seafoam would help make sure teh fuel system is clean. If the injectors are gummed up it may cause a intermittant stall.

Interesting... my 07 RTX started this last year... ran injector cleaner thru, went away for a bit. had it running this year.. after heat up idle seemed really low. if i just "touch" the throttle a bit it runs perfect... i was just going to give 1/8 th turn on the idle screw with more cleaner/fresh fuel.. but now here's 3 cases...seems the same prob. Any ideas?

Check to make sure all the throttle body boots are on properly, if not it can cause the problem you are describing. If all the boots are on I would check the TPS adjustment. If the adjustment is ok the TPS may be bad.

I turned up the idle a bit last year when it started doing it, but then when it was idling as it should, the idle was too high. I'd rather find out what's wrong with it...

As mine is idling low, blippnig the throttle doesn't necessarily bring it back to normal. Still often goes back to the lower idle.

Boots are on fine...last year one was on a bit kinked thanks to a buddy who visits this site, but they are all fine now! ;-)

Interesting you mention TPS...I went through the diagnostics on the pod and an the third code on there was an 84...but I assumed it was old, and I've never seen an 84 pop up. I cleared all the codes and had the sputtering problem happen, and no codes were thrown.

I don't know how to adjust the TPS...pretty straight forward? Or how to test if it's bad?

ZR800EFI said:
I turned up the idle a bit last year when it started doing it, but then when it was idling as it should, the idle was too high. I'd rather find out what's wrong with it...

As mine is idling low, blippnig the throttle doesn't necessarily bring it back to normal. Still often goes back to the lower idle.

I thought mine were on good but upon closer inspection I found one was not on properly. If not the boots, check the TPS adjustment. :Rockon:

ZR800EFI said:
9500 miles.

Started doing it last year towards the end of the season. Seems intermittent, but probably does it at least half the time. After letting warm up then hitting the throttle, it may then idle down to around 1100RPM. After sitting for a bit, it may idle back up to normal. Or it happens on the trail after running for a bit and coming to a stop. Just seems random. Coming to a stop last year after riding, it stalled twice once this problem started happening.

Pulled the belt off to see if it's maybe tight or something and drawing load on the engine a bit...no difference.

Seems to me like it may be fuel related or something, but not sure what to look for.

A clogged FUEL filter can alter the way are FUEL injected engines run..something we all should replace.

You beat me to it. Yup change the fuel filter and see if that clears it up if not at least you have a new clean fuel filter. Secondly run some injector cleaner in your fuel.

tomanytoyz said:
ZR800EFI said:
9500 miles.

A clogged FUEL filter can alter the way are FUEL injected engines run..something we all should replace.

As you can see, I'm a newbie. I wanted to buy a new 4-stroke for several years now but I was so comfortable on my old machine that I was afraid to take the plunge. I spent an hour or two on this site last week, and it closed the deal. I ain't 'fraid no more. Great info. '
Anyway, ZR, I'm not sure about adjustment, but as far as testing your TP. There are only 2-3 types of sensors on autos/bikes/sleds and if you have any buddies in the business, or take the sensor to a reputable shop, they can test it real quick. I'm not sure if the yammi dealer techs are up to speed on testing instead of just replacing. I'm sure many are.

Mine did the same thing and I change the plugs and it idles perfect now

Thanks for the ideas guys!
I did think it may be fuel related. Is the filter in the tank?

Ok, I can try changing the plugs...but I wasn't thinking it would be that. If it fixed your problem, I'll give it a shot...thanks!

Back