• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Attak Squealing at idle. Clutch? (Video)

Ryanmlt1

Hi guys, new sled to me and went on a first ride last nite. After she warmed up I was hearing a whistling noise that got progressively louder and then faded away. Also I can smell some burning rubber. Is it the clutch? Any ideas what it is and how to fix it? Otherwise it runs great.

Exhaust leak, donuts between the exhaust headers and Y-pipes gone, could be.
Exhaust hitting the track causing smell of rubber as track heats up due to hot exhaust gases.
It's possible.
With the sled at idle have a look underneat the tunnel, you will hear if there is an exhaust leak.

Ryanmlt1 said:
I will check that but I could swear the sound is coming from the clutch. When I give it some gas and the clutch engages the sound goes away.
Update: It's definitely something to do with the clutch. The noise is isolated right over the clutch. The noise goes away when i rock the sled side to side? Or jump up and down.. Maybe the belt is rubbing for some reason?

I assume you have a New belt in that rides high in the secondary. If yes, the belt will be tight in the primary pulling the belt Down onto the primary, belt is rubbing on the clutch sheaves and the bottom of the primary clutch making the noise and burn some belt rubber.
Belt can be adjusted up and Down in the secondary by adding or retracting washers on 3 small bolts on the inside of the secondary clutch. Retract washers to lower the belt ride height in the secondary. With belt riding lower in the secondary, it will not be pulled as tight Down into the primary, and the noise and burning of belt rubber goes away. As the belt wears Down, add washers back to get the belt higher in the secondary.

I went for another spin and took the covers off. Its definitely in the primary. Its starting to scare me because its a high pitched squeal almost like metal rubbing on metal at a high speed almost like a shot bearing... But why would it go away when you rock the sled? I'm puzzled. Could it be taking tension off a bearing when its rocked. Also it kind of whines when your riding in general is that a normal apex clutch noise or no.

Thanks for your input so far. I'm going ride it to the yam dealer up north when I go in a few weeks.

rxrider said:
I assume you have a New belt in that rides high in the secondary. If yes, the belt will be tight in the primary pulling the belt Down onto the primary, belt is rubbing on the clutch sheaves and the bottom of the primary clutch making the noise and burn some belt rubber.
Belt can be adjusted up and Down in the secondary by adding or retracting washers on 3 small bolts on the inside of the secondary clutch. Retract washers to lower the belt ride height in the secondary. With belt riding lower in the secondary, it will not be pulled as tight Down into the primary, and the noise and burning of belt rubber goes away. As the belt wears Down, add washers back to get the belt higher in the secondary.
X2, Your belt is too tight.

No bogs... But it stops very quickly off throttle. Im not used to it coming off 2 strokes. This was my first ride ever with it doing laps around the yard.

So it only happens after shes been ridden for awhile.. I just bought the sled and then brought it to a Yam dealer and had a pre-season done with a oil change. The said the sled checked out good. So I haven't really looked at the belt. So you dont think its a bearing? Should I stop freaking out.

Is the washer fix the only way to adjust tension on the belt?

Ryanmlt1 said:
No bogs... But it stops very quickly off throttle. Im not used to it coming off 2 strokes. This was my first ride ever with it doing laps around the yard.

So it only happens after shes been ridden for awhile.. I just bought the sled and then brought it to a Yam dealer and had a pre-season done with a oil change. The said the sled checked out good. So I haven't really looked at the belt. So you dont think its a bearing? Should I stop freaking out.

Is the washer fix the only way to adjust tension on the belt?
LOOSEN YOUR BELT!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryanmlt1 said:
Ok, Any help with that? Is there a adjustment? Besides the washers on the secondary?
Remove a small washer on the three bolts behind the secondary and see if the noise goes away. That will open up the secondary a little bit allowing the belt to be a little looser.

Back