• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 cold start problem

Yeah, I also wonder how the decompression springs affect this. Vermonter, I wonder if the dealer that did your job got lazy and only changed the ECU? That could explain your unusual results. I tried looking up just the springs and they aren't listed at all.

Mooseman said:
Yeah, I also wonder how the decompression springs affect this. Vermonter, I wonder if the dealer that did your job got lazy and only changed the ECU? That could explain your unusual results. I tried looking up just the springs and they aren't listed at all.

Yeah I was there when the job was done and The springs were replace. I was shocked also with my results but it ran perferctly before the cold start recall was done. It was only recommended by the service manager to get it done because it was going to expire in Dec 09. But my sled started like crap afterwards so I put my original ECU back in and it start great again.

I did hear that it was extended but for how long?

RayKnobs said:
huh, I had mine in there this spring and they did all the recalls.

I guess I had to ask for the cold start

That's right. It's not a recall but a service bulletin. They won't do it unless you complain about the problem.

i had all the recall stuff done as well two months ago when i bought the sled for my son. after bringing it home and doing some upgrades, i noticed how hard it started. i printed the bulletin and walked back into the dealership. they said they didn't think yamaha would approve the work but they would try anyway.I prefer to ride wyoming county but end up most times in Lewis because of conditions.try to get one Quebec trip a year in as well.

ive done some looking into mine for the same deal your talking about, cranks for a long time and doesnt even try to fire. I think ive narrowed it down to a fuel/timing issue. I took the airbox off and squirted a little gas in the throttle bodies as i started to crank and it popped right off. so my guess is the computer isnt tellin the injectors to spray at the right time or not enough. so i am going to push for the cold start update when i take it into the dealer to look at it. they told me when i first called with the vin number that mine did not need it and even if i wanted it, i couldnt get it because they didnt make anymore. obviously thats not true, so i dont know how im going to get them to do the service bulletin, or even fix it.. might have to try another dealer. I work 1/4 mile from this dealer, and the next closest is 40 miles away, so id like to get it done close to me.. the thread i started is this, telling what ive tried.. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... hard+start

If thats the case then priming it a few times will do the same thing as squirting gas into it manually.I agree would be nice to not have to do anything but turn the key but maybe Yamaha was worried that under some conditions it would be flooded if they had a larger coldstart fuel shot.I havent looked to be sure but almost all FI vehicles when you turn the key on and hear the pump run the injectors are also shooting a shot of fuel into motor.Then when you crank it to start almost none or very little is added till it fires and runs above a certain rpm.Some motors even fire the plugs every rotation (wasted spark)until a certain rpm is reached then it goes in normal firing mode once every 4. Batteries and the huge variances in cranking because of conditions and battery itself had to be a big concern especially since our battery is rather small.

I will have to check again, but i dont believe my injectors leak fuel when priming. it just dumps over the regulator to return. I dont have gauges to test pressure.. but i did put my nytro fuel pump on to try once and it did seem to start a little faster. When i removed injectors from throttle bodie and held in the fuel rail, it did have pressure when priming and it start spraying fuel right away when cranking. The thing i dont get is if yamaha thought this was a good idea to let it crank for awhile, i dont know why every single one doesnt do it. just a few of em. I will just have to see what the dealer says and if they dont go with the service letter have them check fuel pressure, if thats fine im thinkin its the ecu. its not going to look good with all the anti 4-stroke ppl i ride with when i gotta crank it forever.

chevmal67, does it have trouble after you run it & stop for food/drinks, then come back & try to start it?
or just the first start up?
i had this problem only at 1st start up. i just tapped the throttle while it was cranking & fired up. it was fine the rest of the weekend.

i think i had the reform.fuel in it also. i just ran some new gas w/ injector cleaner threw it.
seems to be doing better now.

(i had the "cold start" done since new)

guy i work with has an 07 without the "coldstart" i think, & his seemed to start better than mine does. fires in 2-3 revolutions faster.

like you stated doesn't seem to be every sled.

hopefully you/everybody get things worked out.

Back