• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Idlers wheels delaminating? Please help!

RTX Meirda said:
We should do a poll on the types of studs that people are using and wheel issues.

I find that Woody's Goldiggers and the Ats or Extrememax etc, sit tight and flush with the track.

The Woody's Megabites and SS have a little thicker head and do not sit as nice.

Also, a fourth wheel in the rear suspension may be a good idea. I found that my wheels did not wear evenly. The one outside edge would wear quicker than the other side.

I don't think it's the studs since the 4-wheels on the outside of the rails were falling apart last year too, and I don't run studs on the outside belt.

ZR800EFI said:
RTX Meirda said:
We should do a poll on the types of studs that people are using and wheel issues.

I find that Woody's Goldiggers and the Ats or Extrememax etc, sit tight and flush with the track.

Also, a fourth wheel in the rear suspension may be a good idea. I found that my wheels did not wear evenly. The one outside edge would wear quicker than the other side.

I don't think it's the studs since the 4-wheels on the outside of the rails were falling apart last year too, and I don't run studs on the outside belt.

Good point. My outside wheels are fine so far.

I went through 3 sets of inner wheels. One set were the Ski-doo wheels. They lasted the longest. The rubber seems to be very tough. I hurt them during some radars runs on pure ice. It looked like the drive lugs on the track came in contact with the wheels.

This year I bought some Yamaha accessorywheels and changed to a different brand of studs. I guess I will see what happens.

Hmmm, Doo has indestructable wheels and destructable engines, Yamaha is the opposite. I'll take a Yamaha on this one :yam:

RTX Meirda said:
ZR800EFI said:
RTX Meirda said:

I went through 3 sets of inner wheels. One set were the Ski-doo wheels. They lasted the longest. The rubber seems to be very tough. I hurt them during some radars runs on pure ice. It looked like the drive lugs on the track came in contact with the wheels.

This year I bought some Yamaha accessorywheels and changed to a different brand of studs. I guess I will see what happens.

When you installed the Skidoo wheels did you machine the mounts so they sat properly centered between the drive lugs?

170plus said:
05 wheels wont fit the 06,the 6 small idler wheels now take a 25mm id bearing where before they took a 20mm id bearing,plus the are now only 12mm wide instead of the old ones being 14mm,careful what you buy,might be taking them back,thats why my sled is still apart cause i ordered some wheels that the catalog "said" would fit my sled ,not

05 was the first year for the light weight 6005 bearing based wheels. 05 wheels can be installed on 06/07's.

05, 06, and 07 are all the same as far as diameter, width, bearing, etc. In 05 the wheels were hard plastic, prone to warping and the bearings tended to fail quickly. 06 they added rubber.

I have 10 brand new 06/07 idler wheels sitting in my barn. I replaced them with 2004 RX-1 idlers before I even rode the sled. To install idlers with 6205 bearings (04 RX-1, Skidoo, Polaris, etc.) at the inside positions (between rails) you should machine 0.060" off each surface that the bearings push up against.

BTW, 6205 bearings are 15mm wide, have a 52mm OD and a 25mm ID. 6005 bearings are 12mm wide, have a 47mm OD and a 25mm ID. The IDs are the same but the width changes by 3mm (0.120").

I had zero problems with my 06 wheels after 2000 miles. This off season my dealer gave me new wheels to replace my perfectly fine wheels and now I'm thinking maybe I should get my old wheels back. I was wondering why do we have to run those two problem wheels on the inside of the rails? Since there seems to be a problem with the thickness of the wheels can't we just use another set of wheels in the same spot just on the ouside of the rails like the other wheels on the skid??

SharkAttak said:
ski-doo idler wheels change all 6 of the (135mm) 503190802 (6205 bearing)

Yes they work but one problem, the wheels are bigger which put alot more stress on the rails which inturn may cause your rails to crack, ive seen it happen.

Heres what I did, Since I had read about all the problems with those little black wheels, I replaced all of them, yes even the inside one just infront of the rear axle with these http://www.portyamaha.com/eshopprod_cat ... r_Boge.htm after riding last season I have had no delamitation or wear on them. yes they cost 23 a piece, but if your good friends with the dealer take the black ones in and use it as a credit on something else your gona need, aka oil and oil filter.

Kimpex now has a direct replacement using the 6005 bearing. Go to kimpex.com, select the snowmobile catalog and go to page 356, at the bottom you'll see part #04-116-96S and it's only $24.99. Can't order directly from Kimpex but you can order them from Al's Snowmobile 802-487-1000 alssnowmobile.com.

newventure said:
i replaced all 6 inside wheels with the exact fit kimpex wheels, and the 2 rear most outside wheels with the kimpex, and it made a huge differance

I run a 2007 Apex RTX and have already had to replace my outside idler wheels after only 800 miles. I ended up putting on oversize Polaris idler wheels on the outside and they are holding up. Now the Yamaha idler wheels on the inside are starting to delaminate. My only concern is that installing Polaris idler wheels on the inside of the skid, requires extensive machining and labor. I wish Yamaha had better wheels!

CRANEMAN said:
I run a 2007 Apex RTX and have already had to replace my outside idler wheels after only 800 miles. I ended up putting on oversize Polaris idler wheels on the outside and they are holding up. Now the Yamaha idler wheels on the inside are starting to delaminate. My only concern is that installing Polaris idler wheels on the inside of the skid, requires extensive machining and labor. I wish Yamaha had better wheels!

The plastic RX1 wheels bolt right in.....

ReX said:
RTX Meirda said:
ZR800EFI said:
RTX Meirda said:

When you installed the Skidoo wheels did you machine the mounts so they sat properly centered between the drive lugs?

No I did not. I did not want to do any machining just in case there was a good fix that would come later and used the 6005 bearing.

CRANEMAN said:

See my above post on the Kimpex direct replacements

Its not the bearings or the wheels read my post on alignment.

Back