• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Idlers wheels delaminating? Please help!

NICE FIND on the Kimpex's maddogjeff...thank you!

Reasonable price, they look like stock, have a replaceable bearing, and all the Kimpex wheels I've run in other sleds have had long lasting rubber. No machining, just bolt 'em on and go. Finally the aftermarket has provided the perfect solution.

Now maybe someone can convince Yamaha to consider Kimpex as a supplier for their OEM idler wheels...

craze1cars said:
NICE FIND on the Kimpex's maddogjeff...thank you!

Reasonable price, they look like stock, have a replaceable bearing, and all the Kimpex wheels I've run in other sleds have had long lasting rubber. No machining, just bolt 'em on and go. Finally the aftermarket has provided the perfect solution.

Now maybe someone can convince Yamaha to consider Kimpex as a supplier for their OEM idler wheels...

I believe Grimm found these first, so thanks to Grimm.

If we can get them for $20 retail, Yamaha could get them for $5 and reduce the price of their sleds by $200 and save $1000s in warranty repairs AND have happy customers.

I still haven't been out yet but Northern New Brunswick recieved some snow & more in the forecast. If not this weekend then next. HOWEVER after reading this topic I am wondering if everyone is having problems with their wheels. Do I just use them up during break in or order KIMPEX now. Is this a problem I really need to worry about. I have a trip planned for the 1st week of February to the International Snowmobile Festival (northwestern N.B. & Aroostook County Maine) & 2 weeks later a trip to the Gaspe & I really don't want my sled sitting in the dealers shop. The season is TOO SHORT as is. DO I NEED TO WORRY & what do you recommend to ensure my trip plans are not ruined. Order parts now? :letsnow:

I have over 2500 miles on my stock boggy wheels.. THe bearings were starting to get rough last year.. so i used a needle greaser and pumped them full..

Other than that i havent had any boggy wheel issues..

I believe in the BAD BATCH theory..

I do however think these cheap, light weight boggy wheels are junk.. as soon as slydog gets off there butt i will have 6 new wheels on my sled..

I had my wheels replaced last summer. I read here in this thread that someone had warping issues with the hard plastic idlers. Should I be worried? I may decide to carry an extra set in the trailer this year.

06rsvectorer said:
SharkAttak said:
ski-doo idler wheels change all 6 of the (135mm) 503190802 (6205 bearing)

Yes they work but one problem, the wheels are bigger which put alot more stress on the rails which inturn may cause your rails to crack, ive seen it happen.

1500 mi. on the ski-doo wheels "0" problems, yamaha wheels 65 mi. 4 were torn to shred's, yamaha has a serious problem with getting the wheels and grease jerks right.

blackattak said:
I still haven't been out yet but Northern New Brunswick recieved some snow & more in the forecast. If not this weekend then next. HOWEVER after reading this topic I am wondering if everyone is having problems with their wheels. Do I just use them up during break in or order KIMPEX now. Is this a problem I really need to worry about. I have a trip planned for the 1st week of February to the International Snowmobile Festival (northwestern N.B. & Aroostook County Maine) & 2 weeks later a trip to the Gaspe & I really don't want my sled sitting in the dealers shop. The season is TOO SHORT as is. DO I NEED TO WORRY & what do you recommend to ensure my trip plans are not ruined. Order parts now? :letsnow:

I say just run it with no worries. The possibility of peeled rubber will not shut down your trip...worst case you will have accellerated hyfax wear in low snow conditions. But this isn't a trail-side breakdown situation and I feel jury is still out on whether this is actually a wide-spread problem for 07's.

Ok well you must be one of the luckier ones, I seen 3 at my local dealer with cracked rails on 06's that had ski-doo wheels on them, the cracked right where the bolt goes though the rail. I am currently running these wheels http://www.portyamaha.com/eshopprod_cat ... r_Boge.htm and i have had no problems, they have the 6205 bearing, but the only bolt your going to need to change is the rear inside wheel bolts. heres what they look like on the sled
wolfmoutain.jpg

87gtNOS said:
CRANEMAN said:
I run a 2007 Apex RTX and have already had to replace my outside idler wheels after only 800 miles. I ended up putting on oversize Polaris idler wheels on the outside and they are holding up. Now the Yamaha idler wheels on the inside are starting to delaminate. My only concern is that installing Polaris idler wheels on the inside of the skid, requires extensive machining and labor. I wish Yamaha had better wheels!

The plastic RX1 wheels bolt right in.....

The hard plastic 05 wheels bolt in, but they are prone to warping and they increase the track noise. There's also an increase in transmission of rougher snow conditions into the sled. If you're riding on "crunchy" trails you can feel the rough surface as you ride the sled. On top of that the bearings in these wheels don't last very long. I believe the reason the bearings go so fast on these is they take more abuse without the rubber in the wheel to take out some of the harshness and shock loading from riding on "crunchy" conditions.

If you're looking for a direct bolt in solution, the best known option (tested by many and works well) is to install the accessory spoked wheels. These work well, are quite durable and have a replaceable 6005 bearing. We never got less than 3000 miles out of these and some of the guys I ride with have over 6000 miles on them and they are still in good shape.

The part number is SMA-8FP38-01-xx (the last two letters indicates the color) and they retail for $22.95. Here is the web link:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/p.../5/427/1827/13006/2007/1/6093/0/0/detail.aspx

Here is a picture:

SMA-8FP38-01-BL-500.jpg

The Kimpex direct bolt in wheels (6005 bearing) might be good, but we haven't heard enough feedback yet to know.

A better wheel is the pre-05 Yamaha idler wheel as 06rsvectorer used on his sled. They weigh twice as much as the stock and accessory wheels above, but are considerably more durable. Another advantage to these is they take out more of the noise and harshness from the surface your riding on and make the sled feel more solid. The minimum mileage I got out of these was 4500 miles. I have 4 still on my RX-1 with 6000 miles on them and they are still in great shape.

The part number is SMA-8EK38-01-xx (xx = color) and they retail for $23.95. Yamaha states that a longer bolt is required to mount these on 05/06/07 sleds. The bolt part number is 95817-10085-00. In reality the longer bolt is only required in some locations. Also to center the wheels between the drive cogs as already mentioned 0.060" should be taken off the mount (note Yamaha does not state this is required although it is required when installed on the inner locations on the ProActive skid). Here is a web link:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/p.../5/427/1827/13006/2007/1/2764/0/0/detail.aspx

and a picture:

sma8ek3801-500.jpg

As you can see in the above links, Yamaha states these can be installed on 05/06/07 sleds with the longer bolt so there shouldn't be any warranty issues if you simply bolt them on without any machining (they even list them in the accessories for the 07 RTX with the ProActive skid but they're only a "bolt on" in the outer locations). For machining the ProActive skid to accept these wheels in the inner locations, garserio produced detailed instructions here:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=36758

Another option is to install OE 04 RX-1 idler wheels. These are dimensionally identical to the SMA-8EK38-01-xx and have the same wider bearing but they are standard, all black wheels. The part number is: 8CR-47310-10-00 and they retail for $17.10. I just noticed that this part number has been superseded with 8CR-4731A-10-00. Hopefully they are just as good...

Personally I stick with stock diameter Yamaha wheels (all of the ones mentioned above are). Larger wheels will increase the stress in the slide rails and Yamaha could argue if they crack it is due to larger wheels being installed.

RTX Meirda said:
The 2 on the left are doo wheels. (I did not trim the bracket)

Yep, same look has mine, at that time didn't know had to machine the bracket too.

I just orderred two set of extra wheels, one for the read inside and the other one for the middle section of the skid. Also I'm thinking to try the hyperfax because even with the full clip + all open 1" track. My hyfax still smelting down pretty bad. On the hyperfax site, they suggest to open about 1/4" every windows so the windows are bigger (or larger) than the hyfax. It say that will allow snow dust on the hyfax and reduce wear.

I'm not sure who to believe anymore!

http://www.hiperfax.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=14

Back