• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 phazer just dies???

mx1500

Expert
:die got an 07 phazer last season. working great towards the end of the season ill drive stop for 5 secs and it will just shut off. like someone hit the kill switch. . then ill start it up and works fine. checked all the connections and fuel pump. the tach/speedo blinks. like the furl guage blinks so i cant tell how much gas ive got. i need help with this guys. :o|

Will it idle for more than 5 seconds, or does this only happen when you are on the throttle?

When the engine shuts off, is the instrument panel still on?

What do you mean by "blink", how long does it go on and off for, and what is blinking? Does it blink when the key is on but the sled isn't moving?

We need more info to help you. Lots of thinks could make it shut down.

My first guess is the battery, I would run jumper cables from the battery on your sled to the battery on your car to test and see if this stops your speedo from blinking. The battery plays a key role in regulating voltage on the sled, and if you have a weak battery voltage will spike & drop depending on your RPM, which may be causing your speedo to blink.

My subaru had a very similar problem - the indicators on the dash would turn on and off and i'd hear relays clicking behind the dash when the car was running. After a bunch of wasted time figuring it out, replaced the battery and everything was perfect again.

Batteries can fail in different ways, occasionally you'll get a short in one of the cells, turning your 12v battery into a 10v, which can be a problem.

Mark

My dads Grizzly 660 quad and my neibors yamaha 350 quad both did the same thing and in both cases it was a low battery.

phazerkid said:
My dads Grizzly 660 quad and my neibors yamaha 350 quad both did the same thing and in both cases it was a low battery.

You are correct low battery voltage can cause this. That is where I would start...test your battery. If battery tests okay make sure your charging system is working.

Best test for a battery is a load test.Most shops have a load tester otherwise just hook up a voltmeter to battery and crank the engine over.If voltage is 12 or more but drops to 11 or lower when cranking battery is junk.

okay. as soon as i turn the the bottom where the fuel guage is will start blinking and the first orange light will tell you low fuel. the battery tests positive . we took the speedo off and it looks like he dropped it cause it has a crack down the bak of it.
as when im driving then stop for 5 secs. im not on the gas or anything it will just die. then when i re-start it if im on the gas it wont start. but no gas she fires right up

Sounds like you need a new speedometer pod first since its cracked.They are a integral part of the electronics on our sled.Start with that then address any other issues.Maybe a friend or someone you know who works on computers or electronics might be able to fix your speedo or try finding a used one.But that is where I would start since even a little crack in it would let moisture in and could raise many issues with how your sled runs.

i know this sounds stupid but ive worked at a sled and lawn mower shop so ive seen alot of this. seeing how ur fuel gauge is blinking did u try putting more fuel in? and if u did put fuel in is it fuel u bought ur self or u are 100% sure it was gas and not diesel or karosine.

as for being on the gas and trying to start it. its EFI not carbed. the EFI system is designed for it to be started with the throtel fully closed.

but like others said if ur gauge is broke then that could be the problem. but also checking the battery will be ur cheepest starting point. then if u have any friends with a phazer try using their gauge pod to see if that solves the porblem. but it is a gamble incase there is a biger problem thats causeing ur gauge failer ur. altho rare u might burn out their pod too. so just be able to spend the case on 2 pods if ur goin use some one elses to rule out urs being bad.

I don't think it's the speedo, i'm 75% sure it'll run with the speedo disconnected, at least it does on the Apex.

I second the advice about fuel, if the fuel light is on it needs fuel. Fix that first before chasing other problems which might not exist. It needs more than just a little bit of fuel, you should fill at least 2 gallons. The fuel pickup is not in the best possible spot and that would definitely cause the dying issue you have.

Have you checked the oil level? You might have low oil, and the sled is shutting itself off to save the engine.

It could also be overheating and shutting off for that reason, if you don't have snow you can't run for more than 5 minutes or so without issues

Does it have a tether cord? A faulty tether cord can cause the problems you describe.

It would be helpful if you could answer the questions in my first post carefully and concisely. It's difficult to decipher what problem you are seeing.

Mark

He said the guage is cracked so it is broke.At a minimum the crack must be sealed if guage is still functional.I would also take a good look at the pins and sockets in the wire connectors on guage.Guage also communicates with the ECU.You can even adjust fuel with it.

ive filled it up many of times. we live on a farm with the big white fuel tank from esso. the crack looked to be filled with silicon oe something like that, my sled has a fan by pass switch white i always will leave running. oil,and all fluids are full. were gonna take it to a dealer t get checked out. a new speedo is around 4-500$$$. which i dont wanna spend if its not the problem. and not sure but when its idling ill punch the throttle all the way to the bar and it will seem to like bog then let off a little bit and vroooom its gone.

Back