• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'07 Vector Cam Chain Question

theCATman

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha
Picked up another Vector for future use for my kid in another year, maybe two. Straight, solid, very clean, new track, carbides, etc. Scored it for $2500.

Anyhow.... my question is. Guy claimed tensioner was replaced with updated one. I don't have a tiny inspection mirror to see front side of tensioner to look for blue dot.

However, on the block right next to tensioner is a blue dot. I took it as yes update was done. But, I'm a naturally skeptical person. What do you guys think? Was this dot put on in an easy to see location for proof along with one on front of tensioner where they are usually marked or is that where most shops put the dot?

BTW, it's not a fresh mark like he just blobbed one on before I got there to see sled to satisfy my question if it had been done. It's obvious the dot has been there awhile.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Spend a $1.50 and get a mirror, that's what i'd do. Was the guy the original owner? If not maybe the PO did that too fool him? Pretty straightforward job if you follow the instructions and have the right tools.

I'm 3rd owner. I'll be looking for a mirror I guess.

I find it odd that someone would go thru the trouble to dot it by tensioner to deceive , when I'd guess to say alot of 05-07 RS owners probably don't even know about possible failures.

Blue Dot- New . Orange dot old.

Right, I know. Until I get a small mirror, I just wonder if the blue dot on block right by tensioner means anything.

Did the old ones have an orange dot on block by tensioner, or is only dot on tensioner itself? ???

I changed my cam chain tensioner a few years ago, but undecided on whether it was worth the trouble or not. I've definitely read several posts of people having issues with their engines after changing the tensioner. I have yet to read a single post from an owner of a Yamaha sled that has their engine ruined from a failed tensioner. Seems most, like myself changed the tensioner for peace of mind, since that orange dot was apparently the sign of the devil.. The process of changing the tensioner is difficult and should not be undertaken if you don't have good mechanical knowledge and tools imo. Seems you stand more of a chance on causing engine issues by changing the tensioner than leaving it alone, especially if you are not having any engine issues to begin with.

Mine only had an orange dot on tensioner. It's possible the dealer did it so they can easily spot the machines that had a new tensioner installed.

But I'd get a mirror to be 100% sure. It would drive me nuts not knowing if it was actually replaced and always worrying about it. Mirror is a LOT less expensive than a new engine or rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/a-possible-cam-chain-tensioner-failure.81246/ My dealer replaced mine under warranty. The problem is very real so much so that a new unit was developed by Yamaha and became available with a blue dot. One thing you might do is contact a Yamaha dealer and have him run your VIN through his computer. If a dealer did replace it it should show that the work replacement was done.

I've seen the technical bulletin for replacement of the newer blue dot cam chain tensioner on this site(Grizztraccks). If this is such a problem, Yamaha should have had a recall for all engines with the orange dot tensioner, or are they replacing engines that fail because of the tensioner quietly. That way we bear the costs of replacement and Yamaha has a better bottom line. I realise that this problem may have only been for the first few years of production, then they changed out the tensioners during production. But, these engines will last a real long time and it pisses me off that Yamaha swept this issue mostly under the rug.

Last edited:
I've seen the technical bulletin for replacement of the newer blue dot cam chain tensioner on this site(Grizztraccks). If this is such a problem, Yamaha should have had a recall for all engines with the orange dot tensioner, or are they replacing engines that fail because of the tensioner quietly. That way we bear the costs of replacement and Yamaha has a better bottom line. I realise that this problem may have only been for the first few years of production, then they changed out the tensioners during production. But, these engines will that a real long time and it pisses me off that Yamaha swept this issue mostly under the rug.
I Agree!

I reallllllllllllllly agree.. ^^^^^^^^^^ I keep checking at my dealer and they keep pushing it under the carpet.. So screw yammie.. If it breaks I will be riding Doo.........MM.

So I take it you are just riding on MadMax?

How many miles on your sled?

18,000+ on my 05 Vector. Back in the day I called Yamaha directly when I started hearing about the dreaded CCT thing. Took about two minutes for a nice young lady to give me a RA# to give to my dealer. I called Yamaha direct to complain about the read skid ride and how much better a Nytro shock would be. Took about 5 minutes for a different nice young lady to get my address for where to send the shock to and a RA# to give to the (a) dealer for them to install it.

I was VERY happy! :jump:

Back