• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 Nytro Starter Woes

cloead

Extreme
Ever since I've owned this Nytro it has always been hard starting when cold. When I say cold I don't mean -34348 degrees, cold as in the engine isn't warmed up.

The first turn of the key I hear clicking and the starter having trouble engaging. After a few turns it the engine starts turning over faster and then it will start. After it's warmed up I don't have any problems for the rest of the day. Turns over quick on the first turn of the key and no slow turning over.

I read on here that it is most likely the starter relay, so I ordered this part (yamaha part# 3EL-81940-02-00) hoping it would fix it. I installed it and it actually seemed to make it worse. Even slower turning over at first and harder to get it started. At this time I put in a new battery hoping that would change something.. but no change.

Yesterday we went and rode ~100 miles in that crazy snow storm. Again, hard to get started when cold but once it was warmed up it was fine all day. Then we loaded up, 2 hr drive home. Go to pull the snowmobile off the trailer and it was turning over slow but never really caught. Then it wouldnt turn over at all and was just clicking.

Any ideas? Starter? Some other relay?

Thanks..

I know you just replaced the battery but bring it someplace that can do a load test. Not unheard of to get a new "bad" battery. better to check that before you go throwing anymore parts at it. If that's not it, I'd start suspecting the starter itself if this has been going on for the life of the sled and with 2 different batteries.

I know you just replaced the battery but bring it someplace that can do a load test. Not unheard of to get a new "bad" battery. better to check that before you go throwing anymore parts at it. If that's not it, I'd start suspecting the starter itself if this has been going on for the life of the sled and with 2 different batteries.
Was thinking that as well... I put my old battery on charge last night and will see if that makes a difference.

Sounds like you have a bad but not totally shot starter to me. if you can get it out, take it to a starter /alternator rebuilder in your area and have them test it. They may be able to easily fix it vs. spending mega bucks to replace it.

Well I was able to get the starter out. Took side panels and under belly pan off. Drained oil, took filter off. Took two bolts off the starter with a 12mm wrench and a pipe for leverage. Was able to remove the front motor mounts without taking anything off the front end.. but IDK if I'll be able to get those bolts back in LOL. Took top two air box bolts out, and then lowered the front end onto a piece of wood like I read somewhere else on here. That got the starter close to coming out.. then took a prybar and was able to wiggle the engine up another 1/4" and that got the starter to fall out.

Hooked 12v directly to the starter on the bench and it acted the same as it did in the sled... did nothing.

Will try to get it fixed asap. Thanks guys. I hate this sled.

Got the new starter in on Friday in record time. Maybe less than an hour. Fired right up. Thanks for the help guys.

Oh and to anyone reading this about to replace their starter: I did NOT have to remove any steering components, did NOT have to remove the airbox, etc. I did remove the front two airbox bolts but am not sure it was necessary. Was able to remove & reinstall both front motor mount bolts with long extensions & working from the bottom.

Got the new starter in on Friday in record time. Maybe less than an hour. Fired right up. Thanks for the help guys.

Oh and to anyone reading this about to replace their starter: I did NOT have to remove any steering components, did NOT have to remove the airbox, etc. I did remove the front two airbox bolts but am not sure it was necessary. Was able to remove & reinstall both front motor mount bolts with long extensions & working from the bottom.

Awesome information! Thank you for sharing, hopefully I won't need the info, but good to know if and when the time comes! Do you have any pics of the steps you used for your starter replacement?

Back