• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 nytro starting in -30c

sxrviper

Extreme
I just made this video today to show that these sleds do start in very cold weather,here in manitoba,canada we have had nothing but frigid weather all week.I went out today to try my sled and see if it starts.If you dont believe me then check weather reports for manitoba and see for yourself,we have had -40's with windchill here all week.SLed took three tries but did start...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvyWoZkaO4k

It was -35 on Friday morning and my 600 etec wouldn't start.

Our nytro's will do the same thing at -24 c . Start and die twice and light up on the third time. Got 3 nytro's in the yard and all 3 start the same way when it is really cold. The guy on your video comments saying to use 87 octane and it will light up right away is not true. For the last 3 tanks of fuel all I have been able to get was 87 octane and it still takes 3 tries when it is cold. But it will fire. I was tempted to try one when we were at -35 but I didn't feel like torturing a sled in that cold unless I had to, plus I didn't want to torture myself going out in that cold.

X2 on the cycling of the fuel pump. They are pretty reliable to -35c. I usually had my problems at -40c and beyond. I haven't been beyond -32c this year but last year I did have difficulties, but my starter was bad and constantly drawing power and draining the battery over night.

Cool vid.

Guys you don't need to stop cranking so soon at these temps. The starter is not a cheap bendix type like most 4 stroke. Its a overrunning clutch. Cool stuff look it up.

https://www.google.ca/search?newwindow=1&q=starter motor overrunning clutch&oq=starover running clutch&gs_l=serp.3.0.0i7i10i30j0i8i7i10i30.2672.5319.0.7548.10.7.3.0.0.0.86.572.7.7.0.ekpsr...0...1.1.60.serp..0.10.582.MBvYId7tNhE

There is no harm if the starter is engaged when the engines turn over. It simply freewheels. So if you just keep cranking until the engine is stable then for sure you'll get it first time!

My question is this, does cycling the fuel pump 2x 3x times actually helps at these temps? Seems to me the fuel pump primes long enough for the gas line to be full and ready to go? Doesn't the injectors only spray fuel in the cylinders when cranking? So cycling more times shouldn't make a difference unless the sled has been off all summer...

Anybody have a clue why my Nytro turns over SO SLOW when it's not even close to these temps when the engine itself is cold? My first start of the day usually sounds like CLICKCLICKCLICK (starter relay?) followed by the engine turning over very very slowly. After a couple seconds of that it speeds up a bit and will start. After I've been riding for a while and it's warmed up it turns over like the video posted, quick right from the first turn of the key. But after it sits overnight, same thing.

I replaced the battery thinking mine was bad. Gave the new battery a good 12+ hour charge and it still behaves the same way.

Anybody have a clue why my Nytro turns over SO SLOW when it's not even close to these temps when the engine itself is cold? My first start of the day usually sounds like CLICKCLICKCLICK (starter relay?) followed by the engine turning over very very slowly. After a couple seconds of that it speeds up a bit and will start. After I've been riding for a while and it's warmed up it turns over like the video posted, quick right from the first turn of the key. But after it sits overnight, same thing.

I replaced the battery thinking mine was bad. Gave the new battery a good 12+ hour charge and it still behaves the same way.
Looks at corrosion on all posts(battery, starter relay), you can check if the starter relay is going bad by turning the key on and touching the two posts on the starter relay with a insulated metal tool (pliers, screwdriver). This will cause a bit of arcing and turn over the starter

Looks at corrosion on all posts(battery, starter relay), you can check if the starter relay is going bad by turning the key on and touching the two posts on the starter relay with a insulated metal tool (pliers, screwdriver). This will cause a bit of arcing and turn over the starter

No corrosion on any of those items. I will try crossing the posts on the relay when it's ice cold and see if it's any different.

Welp tried that, also tried a new starter relay and now it even seems a little worse. Cranks over super slow when it's cold accompanied by some clicking and the starter coming in and out.

Once it's warmed up, no issues.

Back