• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 suspension failure

Wow still havent even heard from Yamaha whether its approved yet!Anyway I ordered one rail to replace really bad one.

Straightened shaft.That shaft is definitely a different material than original.Original was putty.This one it took alot to bend it straight.

Found some bronze bushings at local Ace Hardware.OD is perfect fit.ID needs to be machined.Installed those along with some I made inside that Pivot.I figure if the shaft has no room it cant bend.Stockers were just split plastic and only on ends.

Also made some rail reinforcements.Was a pain since spring would hit bolt if at full width.Plus the spring loop couldn't pivot.Lot of fun milling in a drill press but they turned out pretty good.Nice tight fit.May choose a flatter bolt for bottom two but that shaft wont be pulling these bolts through rail anymore!Will see what else goes now.If snow holds up.

Anyone notice shock getting wore out at pivot?Found SRX/Viper needlebearings fit nicely.Used a bit of JB Weld since hole was a little wore.

Attachments

• StrongerSuspension 002.jpg
    StrongerSuspension 002.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 99
  • StrongerSuspension 007.jpg
    StrongerSuspension 007.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 86
  • StrongerSuspension 001.jpg
    StrongerSuspension 001.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 94

Ended up putting a chamfer on the blocks I made bottom by slides so clips don't hit.Went with shoulder bolts which have shorter head instead of those socketheads.Once again my scissor is almost tight to the front transfer blocks.Good to go!Dang I hate putting that suspension in.Really missed riding the Phazer last weekend.Few ditch/river runs then Either finding snow up north or going to Lake Geneva for that riding they have for us Phazer and Nytro guys.Anyone else going?

Thanks.I really think its worth it to get this skid bulletproof.Other skids are fine but I just feel when this one isnt broke it works better than anything I have ridden through bumps etc.

Update:Initially claim was refused under YES warranty.I called customer relations and they have now approved it so will be putting the two new rails and new shaft in.Yea!A very satisfying end to my warranty.If dealer tries and fails to satisfy you it does pay to call customer service.Thank You Yamaha and especially the Lady I dealt with.

Update to my story.....

Since all of my ordeals with down time to my Phazer, I bought a second complete rear suspension from another 07 Fx...

My rationale is simple, I can drop off the rear skid and swap in the spare so I can continue to ride.

However, I have broken the following since the Phazer was new:

3 - '07 link set ups
1 - '08 front arm (took out my rail when it blew out)

Now I'm being told thet even though I have the Y.E.S, my rear suspension will no longer be warrentied due to the fact that I have not been pro-active enough to ensure that my suspension will no longer break.

I have one suspension now in the sled while the backup sits on the floor of my dealer with a broken rail and bent shaft just waiting for parts.

Any idea folks?

I am waiting for trails to open but if mine breaks again after the bushing mod and rails being reinforced its HyGear kit for me.Seems like simplest way to fix issue short of swapping skids.

Cannondale...

When your 08 set-up broke, what exactly happened?

The ear on my slide where the front arm mounts blew right out. Actually I should say it sheared off and for the life of me I cannot put my finger on how exactly I had enough force on the front arm to do that...

I wish I took some pics before I dropped it off at the dealer so I had some evidence for you guys. I can't imagine he wants me going in there with a camera right about now....

Mine broke where the shaft mounts.Is pics first post here.Right thing is to replace everything since if anything is bent or broke it stresses other parts out so if you replace the broke parts eventually the stressed parts break(rails) at least I am hoping thats what happened.Yamaha should be replacing rails when link or any other suspension part fails.

I never broke front arm though.I think you did right?Its real hard to see the cracks in rails till they are bad.Figure if arm broke both dont go at exact same time.So one is putting all stress to the rail.Cracked.

When the front arm broke it began to torque where it's bolted on the slide rail. The lower mount of the arm sheared the ear off.

So yes, exactly how you've described...

Back