• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 front suspension on an 08? INPUT??

sheetwright

Northwoods Snowmobiling Facebook
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 Yamaha SRX
Now that we have all had snow, and a chance to try our sleds, and some of our experiments. I have some questions for any of you who have put up the large dollars to change their 08 front suspension to the 09 style, and subframe. A lot of us including myself have done a lot of changes to the original to try and get the best out of them. I was wondering, how big of a difference with the change to the 2009? Is it close to the 2009 ride? Which Nytro style did you put the new front end on? What was the first improvement you noticed? Was it worth the money (IYO)? Any other changes you had to do to the sled to compinsate for the new ride? Did you add any new bushings like Ulmers to your new kit? Being that the resale on the 08 Nytro isn't as good as some of the other models from Yamaha (IMO); the economy is tough for a lot, and some people still owe payments on their sleds. People may be intersted in making some changes to their sleds instead of buying a new one. So I thought this was an intersting topic. Thanks for the help as usual guys ;)!

:rocks:

Here's a copy of a post I left on a similar thread.

I have both the 08 and 09 standard Nytro - not RTX. 1600 miles on the 08 and 1200 on the 09. Just rode each of them 200 miles this weekend.
With identical studding, carbides, and suspension setup (my own), the 08 is the preferred sled for aggressive riding. You can notice the difference - zero darting with the 09, and after suspension adjustments, the 08 still is a little nervous, but for sharp handling when pushing it hard, the more aggressive suspension angles of the 08 give it the edge. For all other riding situations, the 09 is better - goes where its pointed, confidence inspiring, and not the least bit nervous in any situations.

FYI - 96 studs, and 6-inch Stud Boy Deuce carbides on bothe sleds. The Woody's duelys take almost all the darting out of the 08 - but do not steer as crisp as the stud boys.

For example, my friend rides a skidoo XP X package. I can hang with him easily when I'm on the 08, but on the 09 he can occationally pull away from me. I just can't drive the 09 as hard through the corners.

Now for the disclaimer - these are both coil shock FX Nytro - Not the air shock RTX's. Last weekend I rode ditches all weekend ( a rarity for me) and the RTX would have been better than my sleds for that - lots of approcahes and jumping big holes. From what I have read on this forum, the RTX's are having the most difficulty getting the front shocks to do what they want as far as handling, ski lift, etc. Others may have to chime in here for further info.

The standard Nytro and XTX - both with coil shocks - take some time and effort to set up the suspension so it does what you want it to do.
It took me a month of riding and tuning to dial in the FX - about 600 miles.

The RTX's are more complex and you need to seriously educate yourself on suspension tuning if you want to be happy with the sled. If you just ditch bang, the sled is close in stock form. For trail riding, you have lots of tuning to do.

Re: EBAY

sheetwright said:
Found this on Ebay. What do you guys think? Sounds like a great deal for someone looking to fix their 08 on the cheap. $550.00-$600.00 for an 09 front end/suspensions sounds a lot better then the $1200.00 someone would normally pay.
I would almost bet that it's all 08 parts that someone is trying sell off as 09 ones. Seems a little odd to me.

I would just do all the mods. listed on here for the '08. I updated to '09 after I bent my sub-frame, and right arms. Yes it is better, but I don't feel it was worth the $ if you don't need the parts anyhow.

As stated above the '08 front (with mods.) I thought was better for the tight stuff, and ditch baggin. I also liked it after all the mods and adjustments.

the '09 I like better for trail use, but don't have it dialed in yet, and still running '08 ski's. So it still feels alittle darty on packed trails.

Back