• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 handwarmer resistance

Yes you can, order a factory relay used for the fan, etc, or a 12 alarm relay at most electronic outlets like best buy, radio shack, etc.

Wire the relay coil to your light relay so the warmers are not powered without the sled running.
Then through a switch for your use.

On mine, the switched light wire is a blue/white wire.

If you try to run the relay off the ECU warmer output, it will most likely hum quite a bit and die very quickly.

kinger said:
This is what we need, now only to find it or get a EE to help build it:

http://www.freshpatents.com/Pwm-to-volt ... 076792.php

Basicaqlly take the 25ms pulse and convert it to steady 8 volts, send that to grips, then take the 0ms pulse and pass the full 14V like the stock system does. Make it adjustable so you could make the 25ms delay output 10 V instead of 8, etc.

Actually, that is pretty much what the cap mod does.
It's a pretty easy circuit to build, but more complex than what is needed.

The cap is a great idea, I just have seen too many fail and provide a direct short.

Trying to figure out what size diode to use in front of the cap and maybe give that a whirl.

The higher you go on cap voltage the tougher it is.
(And the bigger it is.)
Most fail due to voltage spikes due to lightning.

I know that I shorted the outut of my ECU a couple times and it promptly blew the 10 fuse.
No harm to the ECU.

Update:

I rode in the UP today and got in the first test of the handwarmer fix I described in this string. After 126 miles in temps from 0F to 15F there was no smoke, no fire and no obvious ECU problems. Just nice hot grips! In fact I could run them at 3-4 bars from full on and still feel the heat.

It's going to be a lot easier to ride without those little heater packets in my gloves this season.

Rockmeister - I bought the cap you suggested and wondering how you would go about wiring it into the system? I will hook it up in parallel but do you get a small hobby electrical box and glue the cap to the box and solder wire leads going in and out of it? I just dont want a loose wire or cracked solder. Do you reccomend a diode in series in case the cap melts and shorts? If so how big. Thanks!

arteeex said:
Update:

I rode in the UP today and got in the first test of the handwarmer fix I described in this string. After 126 miles in temps from 0F to 15F there was no smoke, no fire and no obvious ECU problems. Just nice hot grips! In fact I could run them at 3-4 bars from full on and still feel the heat.

It's going to be a lot easier to ride without those little heater packets in my gloves this season.

To save me flipping through, did you do the resistor fix???

I would like to know what size resister you put in or not. I installed a 1ohm 10 watt on each side. Thanks

The image below is my version of a schematic for how I installed the RSI heaters and resistors. The image is for just ONE grip - you need to do this for each side.

Here's a link for the resistor I used.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 25F1R0E-ND

I've promised others that I would provide a more detailed step-by-step description for how I did this install. If you can hang on for a day or two I'll get something drafted to post it on the site.

Attachments

• RSI Heaters3.jpg
    RSI Heaters3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 200
arteeex said:
Update:

15F??? That's like T-shirt weather up here!!

;):D

Glad to here they worked out for ya.

If the ECU does catch fire in the future - you will still have warm hands. lol

Yeah, a t-shirt...with a purse and shoes to match I bet.

The grips worked well and now I've got to kick up the output on the throttle to match. Thanks for your input in this process BLUEBALLER. Because of this international cooperation and goodwill we might put off our invasion of Canada until after Christmas.

The attachment includes what I hope are detailed instructions for how I installed the RSI heaters on my sled. Let me know via PM if you find any serious errors or have specific questions.

If you choose to implement this mod on your sled please remember that the responsibly for the outcome is strictly your own.

Thank you,

The Mgmt.

Attachments

• HeaterInstall.pdf
    210.8 KB · Views: 289

Back