• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 XTX Broken Limiter Strap Destroyed my suspension

Groomer08 said:
mine are fine, yours look like they were overloaded....like the rebound was fooled with and shock decompressed and snapped it.
every other strap failure ive seen has been to to wear/rubbing on bottom. nothing above the bolts breaks

I have broken 3 straps on my xtx and it also was never both at once. It was always caused by wear on the track at where they connect at the lower shaft. Something funky happened with yours.

Beenba, I had this exact same thing happen to my 09 XTX just this year. Tore both limiter straps in the exact same spot. My rear shock in the skid tore in half, broke the shock shaft and broke both side shock supports. I did stud my track this year and prior to this happening I was running it fairly loose and under hard accelleration I could hear the track ratcheting occasionally, I also noticed afterwards the rear shock body had been dented in. I replaced the rear shock and reinforced the limiter straps, so far so good. Weird thing is that I just had all of my shocks revalved prior to this happening, this was my first ride on the revalved shocks. I don't know if this had something to do with it.

Sorry to hear about your luck also! It was definitely weird where my straps tore though, most people (like LeeKo and others) say they break due to rubbing on the track. Well mine ripped through the very last hole at the top part of the strap..and on both of them too...weird.

I had inspected the straps prior to the trip, and they were like brand new. My track was tensioned perfectly also according to Yamaha spec. Im not sure if I had some icing issues causing it, it did happen on the second day of our RAP trip, and the sled had sat outside all night in the cold. It normally stays in our heated shop after every ride. Anyways, I am going to be doing the double limiter strap idea, and will also be using some aircraft cable to make a safety strap "just in case". I am also likely going to buy the Star Suspentions xtx kit while i'm at it.

The double strap fix did not work for me. It lasted about 1/2 a season and then the strap failed right at the bottom where it loops the shaft.

I ended up doing this (see attached pics) and have put on about 5000km since, with no issues.

When I installed the shaft back in the sled I angled it so the straps always bend in the right direction.

View media item 908View media item 907

Back