• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 XTX track suggestions

I just installed an Ice Ripper XT track in a Vector for a guy. His studded track started throwing studs and punched a hole in the cooler and the cast aluminum under the jackshaft. He likes being studded but didn't want the same problems again so he went with the pre-studded track. I really like the looks of the track and now I'm considering putting one under my Nytro. I've never studded any of my tracks and for the most part don't need them for the trails but for that occasional icy hill a pre-studded track might be very helpful. I'm debating on waiting until next season so I can see how he likes it on his Vector but I hate waiting. My stock track is in good condition and I'm sure I can get several more years out of it. Is the Ice Ripper track a big enough improvement to justify removing a good OEM track?

NFLD-Nytro said:
BADSLED said:
If I had to choose between a Cobra and a Predator I would choose to go with a Predator track. Just seems to be a better overall choice if running hardpack and looser snow conditions. I felt the Cobra did give up some acceleration over the Ripsaw in hardpack.

I didn't know you could still get the Predator. I had a Predator on my SKS, and loved it. When I stretched my Dragon I tried to get one, and couldn't. Can't remember what my choices were exactly, but I ended up with another crappy Ripsaw.

When I was at haydays this year I saw all kinds of Predator tracks. 1.25" lug x 144". Take off tracks off the polaris sleds, sks, switchback, dragons too I guess from what they were telling me.

My buddy picked a 136" up for $130...good deal!

I was looking to get a cobra for my streched 136 nytro, and I'll be heading to the Novi show. What kind of deals can I expect to get? Just curious if I should hold my breath hoping for a good deal lol

Check out Hudon's stand at the Syracuse snowmobile show at the end of the month. They have been known to have some great deals on tracks in past.

BADSLED said:
Check out Hudon's stand at the Syracuse snowmobile show at the end of the month. They have been known to have some great deals on tracks in past.

Thanks, I'm planning on being there Saturday and I'll check out Hudson's booth to see what deals they have. I also need to pick up the leading edge option for my Curves.

I am looking at replacing my 2009 xtx track. I have a lot of trails i use but am constantly leaving the trail looking for fishing spots in the boonies. I have a 1.25 on it now and its not cuttin it. I was thinking that with the amount of trail I do and ice fishing I do I need a track with 1.5 or 1.75 and a pre studded. Pitch I have no idea. I really would like some advice i like the pre studded tracks alot (or at least the idea). Its my summer project this year to pull the skid frame out and replace the track. THOUGHTS?

thanks eastcoast! I have seen the cobra's come up before as a good option. I like that you actually run the same sled too. thanks for the advice.

thanks eastcoast! I have seen the cobra's come up before as a good option. I like that you actually run the same sled too. thanks for the advice.
Yeah I've heard great things about the cobras, 1.3 and 1.6. I just replaced the back country 1.75 on my sled with another 1.75 back country. I could not try another track, lol. The back country is awesome for my riding.

I had 13,000+ miles on the original stock track. Of coarse it was also studded. 114 studs I changed the track last fall, replaced with a 1.325 cobra version added 114 1.625 studs. This winter I ran just at 2,000 miles. I am very happy with this track. No pull through Plus, the icing condition is much less with this track.

I have ridden the 1.6" ice cobra three seasons now. No complaints, good on trail, plenty of paddle off trail as long as I keep revs up in deep snow. On ice, the small snow tire like studs on tips of paddles seem to give that extra bite without risk of throwing studs. I have one area on right side of track, four paddles in a row on edge where you can see I must have caught a rock and did crack the rubber at base of paddle.... Not torn off at all but stressed a little, normal I guess. I would put another one on, would not go smaller, seems like the right size for my riding.

675A8888-DA66-4F03-BAD6-D86FFAF92E87.jpeg
6000 miles out of a track is terrible. What are the conditions you guys ride in?

I got 10k out of the stock ripsaw on my xtx. Replaced with a composite 1.5” and now I’m no longer running studs. 4K miles on the composite talon so far (I think it’s the 38 if I remember correctly). It still looks like new. Personally I think camso tracks are poor quality. They all seem to start to chunk apart around 4-5k miles (loose small chunks of rubber like a dirt bike tire). Around 10 they are pretty much spent.

I ride all sorts of junk and spend plenty of time spinning the track on logs and stumps off trail which doesn’t help. But the talon is tough. Traction is great.

Had a kimpex ultimate traction on my vmax years ago, with 10k on that track it still looked new.

Just over 14k on the Nytro to date and I love the unruly beast every time I ride it. It’s a slug off trail though, after some seat time on summits, M8 and a freeride I realize I need a mountain sled for the deep stuff.

We have some serious deep snow this year. Pic taken yesterday.

Sorry to get off track ....pun intended but wanted to share :)

Attachments

• 469903BE-B490-45AB-B8C2-B4047EB3B136.jpeg
    469903BE-B490-45AB-B8C2-B4047EB3B136.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 204
Not familiar with the talon, will have to check out. Being able to spin in the woods, logs, rocks, etc without tearing a lug(s) is a good thing! We do have serious snow... Just back from Florida on business, glad it is still chilly up here, riding this weekend.

If you are going pre studded look at the 1.6 Ice Cobra. You need a 15x144 2.52 pitch
I have one on mine. like 6 or 8 thousand miles on it. I have installed many ice tracks. very durable and some control on ice, but nowhere near like studs. also had a back country for 10k or so before that, awsome traction, deadly on ice

Back