• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1049 cc "old" vs "new" Monoshock vs Single Shot fuel economy?

Snowfreak47

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 RS Vector LE
I know there a ton of variables that affect fuel economy on sleds. I just wasn't expecting such a large decrease in fuel economy with the "new" 1049 engine. My 2011 Vector short track "121" with dupont slides and barn of parts soft start spring would consistently get 17 on the low end and 19 just shy of 20 mpg on the upper end. My newer 2016 Yamaha Vector with a 129" track, dupont slides and barn of parts soft start spring is having a hard time getting to 16mpg. I ran 87 octane in both, stopping at same gas stations. Very similar trail conditions. The new sled runs perfect, coasts up to stop signs very similar. Very close total odometer readings of around 3000 miles on engine. Really the only major change is the engine and the suspension. I have been running mostly in the entry mode which is supposedly the best fuel economy mode according to my owners manual. The only other change I can think of is the tuner ski's. I ran the stock ski's on my 2011 with dually's. I run two single 4 " carbides inside and out on the tuners. What I am really looking for is some feedback from owners from the "old" 1049 and the "new" 1049 to see if your results are similar. Meaning was your fuel economy better on the old machine. Maybe this Single Shot suspension with a 129" track is creating that much more drag than the old one? Just don't want to spend hours on end looking for ghosts that may not exist. Or better yet what kind of mileage are you getting on your 2016-2018 Yamaha Vector with the 129" Single Shot skid?

How many miles on each if them?
The 2011 Yamaha Vector GT started with 1700 and ended with 3200 before I sold it. The 2016 Yamaha Vector LE started with 2800 and currently has 3300 and rising.

I am going for a longer ride today. I am going to ride it the entire time in touring mode. I have had other treks with over a 100 miles in just the Entry mode that netted me less than 16 mpg. I know it's counter to what the literature says concerning Entry mode being the best on fuel economy but it's a quick easy way to find out what difference if any it makes.

That's a fact, I wish that's all I had to worry about, I'm getting really good fuel mileage right now sitting in the garage. Winter is short get out and ride before it's to late.

Yup. My first ride was yesterday!
Winter was 4-7 weeks later than normal here.
Another disappointing winter:(

Yup. My first ride was yesterday!
Winter was 4-7 weeks later than normal here.
Another disappointing winter:(

Temperatures are consistently too warm. Sad. I agree get out and ride while you can. I'd skip right past touring mode and throw it in sport mode and put it to the bars! Lol

I never keep track of mileage per say. I know I can get roughly so many per tank but I never get over the 100 miles without a fuel stop and cup of coffee and lunch. Same with the F350. Never checked mileage on any 6 of them I've owned. It take what it wants and I feed it well.

I get anywhere from 14-17 on my 05 Vector with 20K miles and no motor work. I had a 14 Vector and never got about 17. I've always questioned the claims of people getting 20mpg on any 3 cyl Vector motor. I guess there could be a few out there that are perfectly tuned from the factory. :dunno:

I get anywhere from 14-17 on my 05 Vector with 20K miles and no motor work. I had a 14 Vector and never got about 17. I've always questioned the claims of people getting 20mpg on any 3 cyl Vector motor. I guess there could be a few out there that are perfectly tuned from the factory. :dunno:

I must say the wife had a 2010 vector ltx and she got 19 hand calcuated I swear. She's 125lb and rides like an old lady in a way.

I ran 110 miles today on the same trails that I got 15.6 mpg, filled up at the same gas stations with 87 octane. I ran solely in touring mode the entire time. I just about fell over when I calculated the mileage. It was a solid 17.9 mpg. I will run touring mode for awhile just to see what I average over a longer period of time to see if it was just a fluke. Then for chits and giggles I will run it in Sport mode and see what kind of mpg that gives me. I find it odd that not once in 500 miles did I ever get 16mpg in entry mode. Than the first time I switch to touring mode it gets just shy of 18. Just happy it changed for the better!

No matter how you look at it, snowmobiles are not good on fuel, so who cares, and just drive it!
Cheers
I hear ya!! The group I go with are running the newer etec's. There mileage is usually a bit better than mine and they have larger fuel tanks. I usually will fill up with them at the same stops. Lately though with the decreased fuel economy I find my low fuel light is coming on by the time we reach our normal stops. Makes me nervous seeing that damn light on! The last thing I want is getting towed to the gas station, I will NEVER hear the end of it.

If your friend was talking 20 mpg(miles per imperial gallon), then was possible as I have got that and better, otherwise, I want some of what he was smoking. You're bang on with 14-17 mpg.

Back