• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

14.8 vs 15.8 mm roller?

SidewinderConvert

4-Stroke Rookie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'18 Sidewinder XTX-SE
So I changed out my winder clutch for an apex clutch. Put it all together, added 4g of weight, transferred over my TP orange spring and bolted it all together. After assembling the whole setup and running the sled I noticed I had about a 500 rpm higher engagement and seemed to be under revving (8k rpm in limp mode vs the normal 8.2k rpm in limp mode).

After going through everything, I realized I ordered 15.8mm rollers with the new clutch vs the 14.8 mm rollers I ran in the old one. Would this be enough to cause the higher engagement and under-revving? Or do I have clutch weight adjustments to do?

I haven't taken the sled out of limp mode yet (bottom tune with 2 psi of boost pulled out) as I am still burning through the tank of gas that sat in it all summer.

So I changed out my winder clutch for an apex clutch. Put it all together, added 4g of weight, transferred over my TP orange spring and bolted it all together. After assembling the whole setup and running the sled I noticed I had about a 500 rpm higher engagement and seemed to be under revving (8k rpm in limp mode vs the normal 8.2k rpm in limp mode).

After going through everything, I realized I ordered 15.8mm rollers with the new clutch vs the 14.8 mm rollers I ran in the old one. Would this be enough to cause the higher engagement and under-revving? Or do I have clutch weight adjustments to do?

I haven't taken the sled out of limp mode yet (bottom tune with 2 psi of boost pulled out) as I am still burning through the tank of gas that sat in it all summer.
Syphon that gas out and put it in your garden tractor.
Get some new premium in there before making any more clutching changes.

Syphon that gas out and put it in your garden tractor.
Get some new premium in there before making any more clutching changes.
That only works if your tractor isn't diesel. Unfortunately the sled is the only gas powered thing that I own anymore. Might just have to have a fun bon fire with 5 gallons of old gas though...

I had a higher engagement with my viper clutch then the sidewinder clutch using same size rollers in each clutch and same dalton weights. I dont think the rollers would cause a 500 rpm swing in engagement and not every sled needs 3-4 grams extra weight changing clutches, mine needed about 3 grams and my buddies ran the exact same weight as his stock winder clutch. I think it all depends how well or how bad your winder clutch was working to begin with.

The winder clutch was pretty roached. I am going to get it out later this week and collect some data on good gas (and full boost woohoo). After running the sled around a while "testing" it isn't bad having the higher engagement, just not as silky smooth as the old clutch was.

I am also finding my engagement to be less than smooth with my Apex clutch on my sidewinder.
I may go for a spring change. I am using a Dalton bronze right now

1mm larger rollers will up engagement by approximately 140rpm.

Put a Yamaha blue/brown/blue primary spring. It offers low engagement and works great.

I would start with the weights you had in old clutch, then go from there. Just my 5 cents....

I am also finding my engagement to be less than smooth with my Apex clutch on my sidewinder.
I may go for a spring change. I am using a Dalton bronze right now
I never liked that spring, I found it snappy on the engagement. Dalton blue was better and always liked the engagement feel of the different yamaha springs I used.

If you have your studding pattern right , the best acceleration is the 14.5 with duralon bushings out of the 2000 srx .

Last edited:
I just ordered a set of 14.5mm rollers with duralon bushings from Fett Brothers. 85USD.

My dealer wanted 70CDN each for 14.5mm rollers or 55CDN each for the bushings.

I just ordered a set of 14.5mm rollers with duralon bushings from Fett Brothers. 85USD.

My dealer wanted 70CDN each for 14.5mm rollers or 55CDN each for the bushings.
Nice bit of info, thanks!!

if you get any sort of track spin the larger rollers work better and will be faster and the bushings will last longer.

Back