• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

144 Attak

I read somewhere about the track surface on the hard pack, the 151 with the turned up rails, I think said it had less than a standard 136. I believe it was more in line with a 121.

I may of read this in the Yamaha specifications off their web site. At any rate the 151s' handle pretty good on the trail and the new rear skid transfers much better than the Pro Action 144" it might not be better than the MM though.

I just moved into the Mountain Vector and I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So from what I gather if I went from my 136 in stock Attak to a 144 in with a extension kit I wouldn't gain anything much for the effort. Not that I ride off trail I thought it might make it a better ride for me being a large guy.
This would happen at a point I need a track ( 9000 miles now) and would have done an upgrade with sprokets,fully clipped and 144in track.
Your thoughts?

I extended my 07 Attak and personally loved the results. I used a tracksusa extension, with a crossover 1.5in track (no new tunnel or drivers necessary). I also geared the sled down and put a schmidt bros stage 2 clutch kit in. Ive put 500 miles on since the upgrades and im impressed. Maybe moreso with the clutch kit and the gear change, however the floatation over the bumps is 100% noticable. Previous to the upgrade I did a lot of research, and knew the approach angle was not ideal for the skid of that particular sled. But after riding in some decent amounts of snow, the increased surface area, along with deeper lugged track will definitely push around snow and keep you afloat. I personally recommend all those upgrades, especially if you are in need of a new track anyways...

Paddykob said:
I extended my 07 Attak and personally loved the results. I used a tracksusa extension, with a crossover 1.5in track (no new tunnel or drivers necessary). I also geared the sled down and put a schmidt bros stage 2 clutch kit in. Ive put 500 miles on since the upgrades and im impressed. Maybe moreso with the clutch kit and the gear change, however the floatation over the bumps is 100% noticable. Previous to the upgrade I did a lot of research, and knew the approach angle was not ideal for the skid of that particular sled. But after riding in some decent amounts of snow, the increased surface area, along with deeper lugged track will definitely push around snow and keep you afloat. I personally recommend all those upgrades, especially if you are in need of a new track anyways...

Thanks for the reply. I won't be or don't ride in powder or deep snow. I ride groomed trails. I probably would keep it to the stock Ripsaw style. No gear changes or clutch kit. if not needed for trail riding. Maybe a fully clipped with Extro Vert drivers and new bearings while I'm at it.
What are your thoughts on this? I wonder if it would be worth doing this. Just 4 inches on the back is all we get doing this.

I think it would still be a good thing to do. The rail extensions are like $106 with a purchase of a track from tracksusa. Even for groomed trail riding you will hook up beter, and be able to bridge the bumps better.

CaptCaper said:
So from what I gather if I went from my 136 in stock Attak to a 144 in with a extension kit I wouldn't gain anything much for the effort. Not that I ride off trail I thought it might make it a better ride for me being a large guy.
This would happen at a point I need a track ( 9000 miles now) and would have done an upgrade with sprokets,fully clipped and 144in track.
Your thoughts?

Going from a 136" track, 54 lugs, to a 144" track 57 lugs, you will have 1 more lug on the ground. 2.52 pitch track, you gained 2 1/2", on the ground.

Going to 144 for me wouldn't affect the suspension at all would it? I mean change the rebounding,etc.?
I decided I'm staying with the Ripsaw fully clipped 1.25 lugs as I ride groomed trails. Maybe extro vert drivers although I never had a ratcheting problem.
My wifes Vector has Yami extroverts and I can see the cogs wearing at only 3k miles..Not sure I need the aggravation.

IMG_0006.jpg

did this mod Last year.... loved it. if going from 136-144, No issue. 121-144 suspension is a wee bit different (rear W arms has wheels LTX does not seperate axle).

sherlock29 said:
IMG_0006.jpg

did this mod Last year.... loved it. if going from 136-144, No issue. 121-144 suspension is a wee bit different (rear W arms has wheels LTX does not seperate axle).

Sherlock
You got a tunnel extension? they (tracksusa) say I don't need one going from 136 to 144 with the Ripsaw.
Can you take a picture at some point of a side view? I'd like to see how the extension tags in.

thanks for the reply above

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

This is a Hartman kit, 151" tunnel, and a 136-144" rail extensions. I removed the stock extension, drilled new holes to line up and rivet away. Kits comes with new bumper tunnell stiffeners and all mounting hardware. very good quality. I had a new 144 track and this was my route. I wanted alittle longer tunnel to help with trenching, and extra space for gear... have 3000 or so miles on this current setup and it works great! very happy mod...

PS... sled will be going up for sale real soon....

CaptCaper said:
[quote="sherlock29"

What difference if any did you get with the extension? As posted above only 1 row of lugs get added but 4 inches of track more on the ground. I would think there would be some change of ride with going to 144.

CaptCaper said:
CaptCaper said:
[quote="sherlock29"

What difference if any did you get with the extension? As posted above only 1 row of lugs get added but 4 inches of track more on the ground. I would think there would be some change of ride with going to 144.

You don't have 4" more on the ground, you have 2 1/2" more on the ground.

Handling did not change much... just a wee bit more track on the ground. Extensions moved the axle back 4" from stock, i didn't want a tip up, and sled still handles like a 136. Now i did a complete custom valving on my shocks, and i noticed more of a difference on that, than i did the extension. Now where i did notice, is the trenching.... it still trenches, but i can power out of just about everything i throw at it as the stock extension used to act like a "scoop" in the back. now the tunnel does not touch the snow on the sides out of a "hole". I'm hooked on "cross over" sleds and this was the best one i could come up with for my riding style....

now i have a 1200xgade as my primary sled.... and not sure if i will be buying another apex.... mmm....

Thanks. I have to keep this for a while I guess. So new track,bearings,drive shaft.
I need to have familiarity with my machine. ( I know the machine already) To make it easier and cheaper for me to stay in the sport. For a few years I think anyway.

If you go from a 136 to a 144, you will get a little more than half the total difference in length on the ground. If the track wrapped around the rear axle 180 degrees, you would get exactly 4 inches. since the incline of the track after the axle makes an angle of say 150 degrees, you get a little extra.

Back