• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

144 setup

FAMILYMAN

Lifetime Member
Anyone going longer? I am looking for a 144 setup for my sons 09 phaser. Give me a call 563-210-2943

Any feedback on doing this I would like to hear it. Midwest riding/boondocking.

Not sure what info you are looking for. There are a few of us on here that are running 144" Phazers on and off trail and I think the consensus is that they we are really happy with the performance. Don't want to speak for blueironranger and UP Bushman, but I know I am for sure. It totally wakes up the Phazer and allows you to get the most out of it. I swapped sleds with michdog2011 during the Muni Give Away ride who is running a 128" x 1.325" track on his FX and it didn't feel any different than my RTX with a 144" x 1.25". On the trails you don't notice the extra length of the 144". The only difference noted was that mine launched a little harder and had better hook up with the longer track. I have a few threads in the shorty Phazer section, that if you search on my user name, you can see my builds.

G.B.

I just did my son's '09 GT to 144" using rail extensions and he likes it a lot. The only thing left is to extend the bumper and tunnel (it looks funny right now). Used a 1.5" Crossover track (15" cut to 14"). We also changed the top gear to the FX's 18 teeth vs 20 teeth on the GT.

Going with extensions is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go. Anyone from here going from a stock MTX 144" to a longer track will have to use their original skid with extensions so they wouldn't be able to sell it.

My son was eyeing yours up g.b. thanks for costing me money :o| Haha.

Never cut a track, how bad was that?

cutting the track is not that hard it you have it set up right. my phazer is a 151 and i love the it. can go anywhere i want it to go in the deep snow and handles like a dream. Its not very good on trail due to the fact that it has 3inch paddles on it. the conversion is not that hard at all. i will see if i still have the pics from cutting the track when i get home from work. the best way to cut the track it with 2 people a table saw few saw horses. pm me if you have any questions about it.

It took about an hour total to cut the track, removing 1/2" each side. You need a minimum two people, three preferable. This is the method I used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hmsFQ37APk

To start the cut, I lowered the blade, laid the track in position on the saw, turned it on and brought the blade up and then started moving the track like the video. Just be aware that it there is a piece of fiberglass that runs across the paddles in the hump and it takes a little more time to cut through it. It sometimes jumped on us. Just have a sharp carbide blade and take your time. Third person is useful to pull on the thin cut piece to prevent it from getting stuck between the blade and slot.

There are other methods shown on Youtube. Circular saw would be my second choice. The hard part was twisting the track inside out :o| Be sure to adjust the fence when you cut the second side to compensate for the 1/2" already cut off. Measure twice, cut once.

Last edited by a moderator:
FAMILYMAN said:
My son was eyeing yours up g.b. thanks for costing me money :o| Haha.

Never cut a track, how bad was that?

LOL, I like helping other people spend money. I didnt cut down a track as I used a 13.5" Firecat track. Good luck!

G.B.

mine has the rail extensions from Tracks USA they work awosme they actually raise the back 8" of the track a bit to help in steering works very well and not that expensive I am running a brand new stock phazer track for the season and already split just about every lug trail riding. And it is somewhat difficult to keep the track from burning up slides. I have mine full clipped, anti ratchet drives so I can run as loose as possible, low snow wheels and scratchers. my slides last about 1000 miles but that was before the wheels and scratches so I will see this year how long they last now.

nswsparky said:
mine has the rail extensions from Tracks USA they work awosme they actually raise the back 8" of the track a bit to help in steering works very well and not that expensive I am running a brand new stock phazer track for the season and already split just about every lug trail riding. And it is somewhat difficult to keep the track from burning up slides. I have mine full clipped, anti ratchet drives so I can run as loose as possible, low snow wheels and scratchers. my slides last about 1000 miles but that was before the wheels and scratches so I will see this year how long they last now.

One word for your slider issue....Duponts

yea to get those I need to plan ahead and order them since usually when I have to change the slides it is last minute and I have to run to the dealer and get what they have.

Back