• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'16 Turbo recall - Interesting tidbits

Anyone in Ontario actually know of any dealers getting the "rod kit" in stock or installing them yet. Snow is here and ppl aren't afraid to travel for trails that are even in limited open conditions. YAMAHA needs to get on this yesterday.
My 16 turbo xtx le catastrophically failed at 1200 miles last season. Yamaha got me a new motor and the dealer had the whole thing done in a week. My question to yamaha was"am I getting new motor with the same issue". I could not get a straight answer from them. YCS acknowledged that there is a recall coming and that was it. The whole thing is a bad deal and yamaha is doing a terrible job of handling it. The impression I got from YCS Rep was that they got paid and I got screwed...

expecting my first order of rods in tomorrow, friday the 16th, already pulling my motor out

So I decided to call Yamaha USA today to ask about 2016 Rod recall. It took a while but here is what they told me. "There is an intent to recall vipers with dealer installed MPI turbos, but apparently Yamaha USA is waiting for some sort of US government approval prior to recall". Hey that's what they told me. No timeline.

So I decided to call Yamaha USA today to ask about 2016 Rod recall. It took a while but here is what they told me. "There is an intent to recall vipers with dealer installed MPI turbos, but apparently Yamaha USA is waiting for some sort of US government approval prior to recall". Hey that's what they told me. No timeline.
Maybe (doubt it) they are asking some questions. Like, why only dealer installed units? If its installed by the owner wouldn't they have to show it was done incorrectly if they would not cover it? Is this a design deficiency of a manufacturing issue? The letter to the Canadians indicated it was a design issue? This has gone on well over a year now, not impressed with Yamaha's response.

Maybe (doubt it) they are asking some questions. Like, why only dealer installed units? If its installed by the owner wouldn't they have to show it was done incorrectly if they would not cover it? Is this a design deficiency of a manufacturing issue? The letter to the Canadians indicated it was a design issue? This has gone on well over a year now, not impressed with Yamaha's response.
I hope the government is smart enough to tell them all motors with bad rods should be recalled. Turbo or NA. Maybe calls to the Consumer affairs dept would raise flags.

I hope the government is smart enough to tell them all motors with bad rods should be recalled. Turbo or NA. Maybe calls to the Consumer affairs dept would raise flags.

I know the opportunity to add a turbo was CERTAINLY spouted as an attribute of the sled. Couple that with the fact that people bought the MPI kit WITH A FREAKING YAMAHA PART # and are now being told they won't be helped in the event of a failure... This has to be a slippery slope if not a sheer cliff with respect to the law.

Thanks for doing some leg work. It's been "really close" for months. I'm not holding my breath anymore. I am holding the throttle though

I know the opportunity to add a turbo was CERTAINLY spouted as an attribute of the sled. Couple that with the fact that people bought the MPI kit WITH A FREAKING YAMAHA PART # and are now being told they won't be helped in the event of a failure... This has to be a slippery slope if not a sheer cliff with respect to the law.

Thanks for doing some leg work. It's been "really close" for months. I'm not holding my breath anymore. I am holding the throttle though
Just blew my second motor. Yamajunk..... first and last yamaha

I made my last post right after my motor let go. I was a bit upset. I'm going on my 3rd motor right now. I don't think I'm not doing anything too crazy with this sled. Is anybody else blowing these things up?

I made my last post right after my motor let go. I was a bit upset. I'm going on my 3rd motor right now. I don't think I'm not doing anything too crazy with this sled. Is anybody else blowing these things up?
Can you expand on what is failing? The same both times, or different problems?

The first time was a rod failure. It blew it right through the bottom of the motor. This time I was not going as fast and it did not break through the case but you can hear that something is definitely broke inside the motor. I just dropped it off at the dealer. They are going to look at it tmrw. The first motor broke at 1200 miles and this one went out at 2400 miles.

Definitely a rod failure the first time. It went right through the bottom of the motor. This time it wasn't as dramatic but you hear that something is broken inside the motor. Just dropped it off at the dealer. They're gonna look at it tmrw. The first motor failed at 1200 miles and this failed almost exactly 1200 miles later at 2400 miles
I hope you are going to tell us that you had a turbo? Otherwise it is a whole new game.

Definitely an mpi dealer installed turbo with mpi clutch and exhaust
Yamaha has egg on it's face over this. I can understand the first one but..........

Back